Broadleaf timing app.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, Oct 16, 2005.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Fisrt off this is my lawn. I was wondering how many of you wait and spray after the first frost or is that to late? I also aerated 4 lawns and overseeded them. These people have Chemlawn as there fert. service. Do I need to tell them to hold off on the pre-emergent app. in the spring for the seed that is still there to germinate? THANx!!!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How long ago was the seedplanted? I sit being kept moist? Starter fert. used?

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

First, the lawns that were overseeded should not have any broadleaf weed control applied this fall, unless the new seedlings have been cut 3-4 times. I probably would hold off any pre emerge also in the spring. Broadleaf weed control can be applied after several frost. I like to have day time temps at least back to forty. I will apply right over a frost. I just want the temp by afternoon to be back up a little.

4. kcchiefs58

kcchiefs58 LawnSite Member

is it worth the money to spray after frost? Is there an effective weed killer that works below 40 degrees? Personally i wouldn't waste my money on weed control below 40 degrees (that is for the high of the day) and especially if there have been a couple of frosts. But if you want to throw away some cash i have a great piece of land for you...lol

5. Grandview

from WI

Frost has never killed a dandelion. They are called perennials. They live through Wisconsin winters.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

A hard frost (regular and not just a little white on the morning turf) effectively halts growth on many perennials, sending them into dormancy for the winter. Part of the same reason (plus available sunlight) we don't have flowers (per.) or leaves on the trees (evergreens excluded). All those plants shut down under temperature conditions, dandelions included. So if your plant shuts down, ceases new growth and drops it's leaf production for the year, how are you possibly going to get translocation of herbicide into that plant, perennial or not? Attempting weed control at that point IS a waste of time and money.

7. Grandview

from WI

I spray every fall after several frosts. I have sprayed after temps have been in the low 20. The results are the same. No dandelions in the spring. Dandelions are still translocating after frost hits. I have a 80 acre commercial account that I spray every fall in late October or early November. I see no dandelions in the spring. Never had to respray in the spring. Been doing it for at least 10 years.Will do it again this year.

8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

You will still get translocation during the cool weather...you might not see top growth curl because the weeds tend to die form the inside out.

9. kcchiefs58

kcchiefs58 LawnSite Member

The labels on most herbicides state to have effective control spray in spring or early fall when weeds are actively growing....The leaves should remain alive for a while in order for the herbicide to translocate to the roots. Any hard frosts would kill the leaf and I wouldn't waste $$ on spraying weed control at that point.

10. Grandview

from WI

Frost does not kill dandelions. The weeds are still actively growing. How do you argue with results. I have customers who see and like the results of late applications and request late applications.