Broadleafs in St Augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by brownbrothers, Feb 16, 2008.

1. brownbrothers

brownbrothers LawnSite Member

I have a problem with clover and other broadleaf weeds in my personal yard. I was wondering if there was something i could spray on st augustine and centipede right now to kill the weeds or do i need to wait for warmer weather to spray something. I live in central mississippi in zone 8a. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

atrazine don't know if its okay for centipede but its good for st augustine
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Atrazine is a good choice for shallow rooted broadleaf weeds(clover, chickweed, etc..) However it will not work for some of the deep rooted broadleafs(dandelion, dock, etc..) you will be safe with a "southern" formulation of say trimec. This would still have the 2,4,D with a much lower rate of dicamba and should work on the tap rooted broadleafs.
  4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Just be careful the Trimec formula does not contain MSMA
  5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco three way labels says you can use it on st augustine but the lesco rep says no don't use it on st augustine what gives?
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

2,4-d should be used with caution on floritam varieties of st aug.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Weed-B-Gon works for me sprayed some two weeks dandelion and clover. Kinda surprised because temp was only in 80F range for a couple days but I used a lot of soap with it.
  8. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

here's neat trick for a homeowner buy some weed and feed for your type of lawn and a small pack of quicksilver(1 gal dose pak) spray the quicksilver and then apply the W&F.
    i would wait for spring to do this
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Southern AG "Weed Killer with Trimec" Use at half rate. READ label.