broke a cable line with aerator today!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by inzane, Mar 29, 2013.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

how deep are these lines supposed to be? this one was about 1 inch under the soil. I was doing a lawn renovation for a friend, spent about 4 hours out there, no charge. I aerated, roto-tilled a few areas.. seed and starter fert that i supplied.. i spent some time with a rake trying to level out areas.. I think i did a good job i hope they water!.. lol. i feel like a total jackass for hitting that line, but there was no way to know it was there, i didn't think you needed to call 811 to aerate? i always just watched out for sprinkler heads.

anyways, no exchange of money.. they were gonna watch my kid a day or two while i was at work. but they were not gonna hesitate to send me the bill for the cable line... lol. I managed to get them to let me pull it up and fix it.. I have a feeling they were trying to get money and fix themselves.. it was gonna be over 100 for comcast to do it according to them. its so good to have great friends. never again..

2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Company should fix for free I beleive 4-6 inches is required

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

In NC there is no rule for depth, it just depend's on the cable company. Some of these company's have decided there is too much liability in doing ANY trenching and will just lay that wire on top of the ground. No joke.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. inzane

yeah, i realise that now. lol. I bought the stuff to fix it myself, plus extra connectors and what not in case this happens again on another job. I'm sure its bound to happen again eventually if the cable company is not burrying them any deeper. I'll be prepared next time.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

811 calls are required.

Locates are only good to the interface, any splits past the interface are private not facility.

One must hand dig within 18-24 in either side. No mechaical work in that area.

Yes they should be 18 in deep, but they aren't.

You are taking on liability for that cable from now on.

Sorry fella's 811 is gaining a lot of power and one can get in a bunch of trouble by not calling.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. inzane

if i have to call 811 everytime i aerate i think i will have to drop that as a service.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

My state has a website you can use which is easier than phoning it in. ALWAYS give a disclaimer to the customer about any lines or objects not marked.

9. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I tell the client before they hire me, I'm not responsible for under ground cables I might damage due to tilling/digging.

10. inzane

the line got taped back together last night and kinda worked, but i went out to splice it all back together with connectors i got from radio shack. it wouldn't work. so, I pulled up the cable in the area, and found that it was hardly an inch in the ground. and I had actually chewed the line all to hell about 6 different spots. the line wasn't visible at all, still it wasn't buried deep enough. this cable line never had a chance. I told them to call comcast back, and make sure they tell them that the line wasn't buried deep enough and they need to fix it for no charge. hopefully that works out. because if they don't fix it, i'm gonna buy a new line and fix it and bury it myself. so a freebie job will turn into me paying to work. I think a disclaimer sounds good... from here on out i'm gonna have something like that in writing.