Broke a John Deere aluminum deck today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Broke that dude first thing this morning and never recovered. What a crappy day. I wonder what John Deere wants for a new one.... I hope to get it welded, I have both pieces to fix it with. Has any of you guys broke one and had it welded? If so let me know how it turned out.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about a JX85 or similar push mower?

Yes they can be welded, (TIG) I have cracked one and had it welded, no troubles after the welding.

KB

3. Blades of Steel

Yep, JX85 two years old. I could tell it had been cracked for a while. It was the spot in the rear that encloses the deck from the tranni area and where the plastic internal shroud is screwed in.

Like I said I have both pieces so hopefully it can be fixed. I can't imagine what JD wants for a new deck. Ouch!!!!!!!!!

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 of these mowers laying around, and I intend to make 2 running units.

Earlier this year I ran mine over with the truck, so I bought 2 non-runners. Now I have 3 non-runners. I bought a brand new engine with clutch from a wholesaler guy on EBAY, so I have everything I need to get 2 runners when I find the time.

I'll go in the basement and see if I have 3 good decks. I need two good decks, if I have 3 then I have a spare I could sell.

Anyways, an experienced TIG-capable (Tungsten-Inert Gas) welding shop should be able to fix you up.

Ken

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

How'd you break it?? Is this common on aluminum decks?

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I ran JX85's for many years, and that spot is a common problem for cracking. All of my JX85's met their end due to deck cracks, usually a major failure where yours broke. Another place they crack, is right behind the front wheels where the adjuster assembly part of the deck housing meets the main part of the deck. It is too bad that their decks were not as good as the engines on them. I never tried to have mine welded, but it might work for a while, if the heat does not warp the deck.:(

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Wow, sorry to hear about your mower! If you don't get it welded up, you might consider a new Toro ProLine 21". I've never had a problem with Toro aluminum decks:)

8. Blades of Steel

Albemarle Lawn

That is nice of you to offer if available. That would great if you have one for sale. I am going to call John Deere Monday morning to price one and try and get a lead on a used one also.

I have no idea how it happened. I bumped a plastic 4" drain cover and all hell broke loose under the deck. Looked down and there was pieces on the ground. Rolled up on the trailer and grabbed its brother and went back to work.

This is the first ever problem with these mowers so I will not be writing them off for another brand. They cut great and the controls are easy to use.

We'll see what the welder has to say.

Tim

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I went on the Deere web site and checked. The price is $290.00. Just for the deck!

10. Blades of Steel

Damn!!!

That's a 1/3 of the price of a new one. Looks like I am gettin her welded first..

Tim