1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Broke belt (lesson learn an not cheap)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, May 16, 2001.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Broke a belt on my deere today .NO i didn't have a spare .We don't have a dealer in this town any more ,gotta drive 50or75miles to get one .Lesson learned.1)I'll buy 2 of all belts tommorrow !!!!2)untill i see a stalbe deere dealer in this town i'll find a diff.brand!
  2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I've been there too, but never had to drive that far to get a new one. I've been getting my belts from the local Lesco dealer. Alot cheaper, and for some reason they are lasting longer than the oem belts.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Lee, check your local NAPA or equivalent auto parts store before you drive all the way to the JD dealer. Just take the old belt with you so they can measure it. I saved a bunch of money by dealing with the auto parts guys when I had a Deere [filters, belts, etc.] Good luck, Will
  5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys...I'll take it to my work tomm..we have a full maintance&machine shop where i work during the day an i"am sure they can get me one ...just one of the advantages of haveing a day job...god knows they times i"ve took broke parts in there for them to fix!!LOL....Excellant machine shop...But i will get one of every thing this time..
  6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

We used to go through belts all the time. Then I found a dealer that sold kevlar belts. Your belt dealers don't want you to use them because they don't break. Bottom line, have not had to replace a belt in a very long time. If anybody is interested I will try to find my old catalog. Yes, Down Time "SUCKS"!:eek:
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Most John Deeres use proprietary belts-oddball V angles, double angles etc. Always keep spares as the one you need is never in stock at the dealer-the only one who can get it for you.