Broke My First Window! Advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloMow, Mar 17, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

One of my new customers (very first mow!) called about an hour after I left her property this morning. She said I broke a rear bedroom window. I swung back by her house and inspected the window. Definitely broken. I did not admit any guilt, but told her the first step would be to get an estimate and call me. Advice needed: Did I act correctly? If not, what should I have done? Also, what is my best course of action when she calls with the estimate? I am starting my second season and did not have an incident like this last year. Thanks in advance.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You did well. You responded immediately, I would find out who she used to install the window and contact them to expediate the repair. If she has no one then use a reputable window company that can respond quickly. If it was terribly expensive contact your insurance company, otherwise pay for it out of pocket if it is below your deductable.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT......

Dont argue......dont fight......just get it fixed........
  4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Today is Thursday..... I would try to expedite the whole thing and get it done for her ASAP! It will show diligence and responsibility on your part. You stepped up and acted immediately, that is what a "True Professional" is about!
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did you break it?
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

So far you did the right thing,just get it fixed as soon as possible.I had that happen to me last year with a screen door.The weedeater threw a rock threw the glass on the door and of course it was a full length window,cost me $175.Make sure you get a receipt if they have it fixed and bill you.
  7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my customers said the last guy "Taco" broke his glass front door last year........."Taco" told him he would mow the next 10 weeks for free.....Go did well!!!
  8. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Don't know. My head was down, ears plugged, while trimming the patio area. It looked like a fresh break.
  9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

We broke one about two years ago on a first visit cleanup. I owned up to my helper having broke it and was getting a quote immediatly but she said she would get it fixed and deduct it from my pay. Ok no problem, well she did get it fixed and for about a third of the quote that I had gotten to boot, but she canned us anyway. Then very shortly after , I picked up a new customer who had (and still does to this day) a shattered picture window on the front of her house. I was replacing the old guy who broke it and refused to pay for it. Lol! What comes around goes around . Your doing the right thing- just get it fixed .
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, sounds like you did good so far. However, I would arrange to have it fixed rather than have the customer handle it. That way you are in control the whole time and the customer doesn't have to lift a finger. Why should they have to expend time and energy for something you did?

And I would not involve my insurance company unless it was a large expensive window.

I have not broken any windows yet, but I have run over some landscape lighting with my truck, backed into a neighbor's mailbox while plowing and bumped fences and other things with the tail end of my riding mower. I always owe up to it and fix it or have it fixed ASAP.