1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Broke my first window today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by primecutmo, May 19, 2004.

1. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

Boy am I sure glad I have insurance. My best employee was edging today and threw a small rock through a picture window. Shattered it instantly. This all happend at a nursing home that I mow for. I thought that the manager was going to be pissed off. Well I told her that I was insured and not to worry that I would take care of it. She said its ok S**t happens and that their insurance would cover it. She said that in the past ten years that she has been there a window or two has been broken every year(you should see the size of this place and # of windows) and I was the first to offer to pay for it. She also told me that I was doing the best job she had ever seen at the place. She said that they have been through a new LCO every year and that after this year they will no longer take bids as long as I want to mow for them. How COOL is that.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome to the club. That is cool that she was okay with it though.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Keep up the good work.
  4. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

My experience with broken windows come in threes. Go three years with no broken window, and then get three broken ones in weeks of each other, and so on as history repeats itself.

My last house window cost my a little over $200. My insurance agent has been working on me for years to cover stuff that's $200 or less myself. My most expensive insurance covered @ $1500.

Last year I broke the side window in my F150 from a string trimmer I was running. I didn't want to break the clients window, but ended up doing one of mine. That little window cost me around $450 installed by going after market instead of over $600 Ford installed.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have never come close to breaking a window... My Echo trimmer doesn't seem like it could fling something hard enough to break something, and its a commercial model. Is it because I have the guard on it and the line can't get very long? I honestly don't see how people are breaking windows with a trimmer! I figured it was from a mower side discharging or something lol...
  6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

My first and last window I hope was a sliding glass door window at a apartment building. Couldnt find what broke it. I was making my first pass around and I notice one of the tenents waving me down, then I see all the glass and I think AH SHIAT. But it only broke the outer pane so it didnt affect the integrety of the window. I let my insuranse pick it up. I figured they raise my rates every year and never had a claim, them sunsabiotches can pay for it. I heard the glass company had a really hard time putting a new pane in.
  7. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

the trimmer that my employee was using was my new echo 230s which is one of the lower commercial models. by the way the guards are still intact. i was supprised that a trimmer could break a window that easily too. be careful man it could happen to you too.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

my stihl with the guard will sling stuff for hundreds of yards if i run it at full throttle. no guard and my face seems to catch all of it.
  9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I keep the gaurds on mine and every once and a while a rock or something goes a flying.
  10. Last week I was running a harley rake over an incline behind a new garage and the tractor slid a little, the rollbar bashed in the eaves trough. I showed the homeowner and he said not to worry, he'd get up there on a ladder and hammer it out.