Broke my first window!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, May 27, 2003.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Well, I just started cutting a condo complex last week. My friend us the president ofthe board and helped me get the contract. So far everything is going well, but still working out the routine for the property.

Anyway, today, i had myself, and five other guys working the spring clean-up. You know, edgingthe beds, removingthe leaves, etc. We have had so much rain lately that I have not cut the property yet. Today i decided to at least edge and string trim, figuring it would speed up the first cut on Thursday. Wouldn't you know it but, as I was trimming my friend taps me on the shoulder and asksme if I broke a window. I of course had no idea what he was talking about. So he walks me over and you guessed it, my trimmer put a rock through a screen door window. To make matters worse the owner ofthe condo is a little on the strange side so I was nervous about her reaction. So I remove th e glass and sweep it up, when the lady must have heard me and came out. It was 8:30am, so Ididn't want to knock on the door yet. She comes out and I tell her what happened. She said othing and closed the door. Two minutes later she returns with the screen and asks me to put it in. I told her I would pay to have the window replaced, but she says no, I am getting a new door anyway, don't worry about it. I am just glad I ahve insurance just in case that was a person instead of a window. Well, it made me more aware and lucky for not having to replace the window.

Do you think I should make some sort of offer, (gift certificate, etc.) to her as a nice gesture for good will, or just leave it alone?

Sorry so long a message.

Carl:dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Give her a gift certificate or something to Outback for like $25 or something. She could of rode you for a loop charging for the glass or whatever else.. You'd want to make things right right away since it's your first time there and you break something.. Surely not an account that you would want to lose I suppose..

And if she flat our refuses to accept your offer, you could always spend the $25 on yourself. <G>

Good luck,
  3. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

good point gary. I definately want to keep this account, it is by far my biggest and a graet one for me to work out any kinks when working a larger property. My friend (condo President) and i amde a deal. He needs me to give him some help with the cost of the contract, (condo association had some poor management with the last president), and he will cut me some slack on the job. Now, dont worry i am still making money on this property just not as much as I could, but like i said it is a win-win for both of us. Of course i am still out to do the very best job i can, but it helps knowing the guy who will be complaining.

anyway, thanks gary
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I put a rock thru a custom window next to the front door of this big ol house I do. The bill came to a whopping $800+. Thats why we have insurance. My insurance did not go up (surpisingly). I say, just leave it alone. You appolojized and she didnt have a problem. If she did, you could let the insurance handle it. Sounds like you got lucky
  5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

kind of late for a spring clean-up?
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about one of those MBNA windows, 8' high costed a pretty penny!
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Instead of a gift certificate, consider a nice plant in a pot or hanging basket, if you can tell what she likes. Then she'll think of you when she sees it each day, and keep you and your company in her mind for referals and such. Just a thought. ( personaly I'd rather have a Filet Mignon) :D
  8. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

1grnlwn, the reason for the late clean-up is that it tokk awhile fore the condo association to balance their books and make sure they could pay me.
  9. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Try $172.00 for Drivers side window in a Ford Aerostar. Beware of the crush and run rocks and trimmers don't mix.:rolleyes:
  10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Three weeks ago on same day:

Crew #5 - Sliding glass door $225.00

Crew #3 - Car rear glass $465.00 AND windshield of a bronco $220.00

Paid out of my pocket. NEVER turn in small amount to the insurance company - it's not worth the rate increases at renewal time. Save insurance claims for BIG problems.