broke the bolt and the easyout

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ryan Lightning, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I broke the bolt and the easyout in the engine block on a 25hp Kohler, now what?

I shouldnt have messed with it but i could get the mufler off and I needed to change the starter. The bolt broke really easy. I was putting alot force on the easyout, but it shouldnt have broke with a 4" wrench. :realmad:

engine 014.jpg

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

According to your picture it look like part of the bolt is still sticking out of the block. Can you get a good grip with some vise grips? Another thing to do is to grind off the bolt flush with the block and drill out the bolt and re-tap the threads. Have fun.

3. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

If you have just a little bolt sticking out (no easy out) you could place a nut that will just slip over the threads, then using a mig welder weld the nut on. with the heat of welding, and the new head the bolt should come right out... Just be careful. I don't know how the aluminum will react.

We do it on truck manifold bolts. We cut the head if we think there is a chance of breaking it off.

4. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I have had good luck by grinding flat as already stated. then center punch, this is the most critical part. it must be dead center, then I start with a 1/16 drill. I drill all the way thru. whats left of the broken stud. (you can feel it break thru.) be extra carfull to stay square and plumb with the stud. Then gradually step up the drill size ,drilling all the way thru. Use oil and go easy with each drill size. If it is a 5/16 bolt then I keep increasing the drill size till I am at the thread base. at this ;point the threads will peel out like a heli coil if all went well. If you get off to the side and you can't get back to center go as large as you can and then try the easy out , if it does not turn easy ,,,,,, quit and try some heat from a small torch then the easy out again or just soak it over nite with a good penatrent, if you drilled all the way thru it will work from both ends... Good luck. :cool2:

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the extractor is sticking out. I'd take it to an automotive machine shop and have them remove it. The reason why most screw extractors break off is because the hole is not centered or as you are turning it, it cocks to one side and snaps. There are many old school tricks to removing broken taps and extractors. However, I'd again suggest you take to it a pro, pay a lil cash and get it over with.

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Thanks for the help! I decided I didnt want to make it worse, so I took it to a machine shop. Cost $40. He said he welded some medal to the stud, then welded a nut to the stud.

7. 01duse

01duse LawnSite Member

Just as a footnote: I've seen a guy heat the broken easy-out red hot then douse it with water to fast cool it. He then used a sharp punch and with one good smack of the hammer the extractor shattered like glass. But like calriv said already, you'd have to be very careful when dealing with the mix of metals.