Broke the Komatsu Mower again today..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LynyrdSkynyrd, Jun 3, 2004.

1. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Rented this Kamotsu PC120 with a Hydro 36" Brush Hog cutter to mow some Coal mine property. The thing is costing me $3200.00 a month to rent and The first day that they brought it out the head fell off due to loose bolts. Today the welds started breaking that holds tht holds the cutter head to the frame. The equipment rental place came out looked at it and took it back to the shop and is suppose to bring out another one in the morning..

The welds that are breaking. They are breaking at the top and bottom on both sides.

Some of the Belt line that carries Slate from the mine to the slate dump. This belt is amost a mile long a tottal. We mowed the entire lenght of it the first week with tractors and finish mowers.

I am using the PC120 to mow the along the haul and service roads. I was not on them today due to the broken mower. But will get some photos of ithem and the mower working when I get a replacment. At least the mining company said that they were in no big hurry and like what we have did so far. This is a great contract for the mine pays the PC120 $100.00 an hour when it is working and Rish credits me for each day that it is unable to work due to breakdowns and such..
  2. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

I have to say thats the most extreme example of a mowing job ive ever seen!

Two thumbs up.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This has got to be a joke. Nobody, and I mean Nobody that subscribes to this forum has even the most rudementary knowledge of this type of equipment. Take this joke to the black-lung forum for a few laughs.
  4. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I don't know if it's a joke or not, but the guy knows at least one thing that I don't ... how to attach more than one picture in one post. :O
  5. LynyrdSkynyrd

It is no joke. We should be back in business by at least noon tomarrow and I will get some action shots of it taking care of business.

I have used all types of equipment to make a living before I offically retired from Backhoes, Dozers, Excavators to Farm Tractors.

More money can be made in one year doing large scale mowing on Rail Road right of ways, Mine property and Chemical company land than you could make mowing 100 $25.00 homeowner lawns for 2 years.

And the best thing about it. You will never loose a job to a scrub.
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

at $3200 a month couldn't you afford to buy one?
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

GOODNESS GRACIOUS BATMAN! whereinthehell is that coal mine property?

west virginia? kentucky?

I am floored that they would maintain that beltline R.O.W.!

and what you are calling a mower...won't that thing grind a tree from top to stump in no time at all? or is that a different piece of equipment for the excavator?

GEO :D
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Cracked welds look like they have been there a while. Those machines are fun to run. We have a TD15E Dresser(now Komatsu) Dozer that we have to repair again. Its never ending with heavy machinery.
  9. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I used to sell mechanized timber harvesting equipment. Haricana had a hydraulic powered saw head that would go threw a 24" tree in three seconds with a three inch wide blade. Carbide teeth. Also sold the sliding boom delimbers, log loaders, feller bunchers (Tree shear) backhoes, crawlers, I have ran them all.
  10. LynyrdSkynyrd

Renting machines like this is the best way to go in the long run. For Rish does all of the maintence and repairs on it if something should go wrong such as the mower head that we are having problems with. So far have replaced two cutter heads at their expense.

They are freash cracks. We have had so much rain in the past three weeks that it seems as if everything is rusting. The tracks have a freash coating of rust every moring and today when they brought it back it looked as if it had been sitting idle for a month. It poured the rain all day and and was so foggy that I did not do any mowing. For I do not want to be smacked by a loaded haul pack coming down the haul road loaded.

The mine is in WV.
    Each shift has a guy walk the entire lenght of the belt to inspect it. They have always had a lot of Copper heads and Rattle snakes that like to hang around it. So they keep it mowed close. That and it makes it easier for them to do repairs when needed.

Some company has been in here working a slideing booom delimber. That this is neat to watch work. I do not know how far it will extend or reach up. It has a large blade like a cicular saw blade that can be tilted from 0 to 90 degrees. It is a sweet piece of equipment that does a great job.