Broken Belt on Quick 36 only 9.5 hrs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by customcurbdesigns, Jul 6, 2008.

1. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

The belt broke on my mower the other day and it only has 9.5 hrs on it. Is this normal?

Also, Do I have to order the belt from BOP or can I get it somwhere else? Thanks

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

it probably aint normal. if you're going to replace it yourself (it probably aint worth trying to get them to warranty it) take the old belt to a mower repair shop and they can match the size you need, and normally it's cheaper than getting manufactures parts.
  3. turfmike

turfmike LawnSite Member

I've had belts break way before they should have in the past. Normally they last for a season and i always try to have a spare on hand. The one's that broke quickly I found that the pulley was damage or was loose which then make it unlevel then pop there goes the belt.
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

A loose belt can jump the pulleys, and get tangled up on belt guides, or cut by the pulley. After installing the new belt make sure adjustment is correct and then recheck it after a few hours of mowing.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Nope...ain't normal at all.
  6. hwew

hwew LawnSite Member

No the belt is probably defective. My quick 36 has 261 hrs on the origional belts.

In the owners manual it has belt #'s so you can purchase them at an auto parts, hardware or power equipment store.

By the way I feel Better Out Door Products customer service and parts delivery is best in the industry.

If you have questions just give them a call.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Call them and have them send you a new one out.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

had an issue on a NEW Exmark, after 2 belts broke, One of them after about 3 hrs.
    I noticed that the belt was out of range. " it wasn't adjusted properly"

not even my dealer noticed it. I was amazed that it was only about 1/4 of an inch out of adjustment, and it would caluse it to break.

Good Luck
  9. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Sean,

We were wondering why we couldn't find you in our database and then it finally occurred to us... you bought someone else's machine! :dizzy:

There's no way to know why your belt broke in such a short time, but I agree that's unacceptable preformance. Even Gates (Rubber Company) has off days and perhaps you just got a bad one. If you'll call us, we'll be happy to replace it. At the same time, we'll also register you and your Serial Number as one of our Owners.

Just for future reference: We're the only manufacturer, that I'm aware of, that lists locally-available alternates for our belts. Rather than hold our Owners hostage just so we can make a coupla bucks on a belt (and leave you in a mess on a Saturday afternoon), we list ALL of our belt sizes in multiple locations on our website. Alternate (Gates) numbers are also listed on the deck decal. You will be able to get correctly sized and properly constructed belts in a dozen place locally.

There's a ton of good information on the website and I'd invite you to check it out.
  10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i do not have a quick mower but as a sponsor for you to take the time to adress this is awesome. if the rest of the company is like this i would have no problem owning a quick mower. thanks for going the extra mile! i will definately consider a quick if i need a small mower in the future.