1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Broken blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Details are a bit sketchy but here's what I know. A Prince Georges County Maryland mowing crew cutting grass Friday had a mower blade either break or come loose from a mower. The blade hit one house and ricocheted off and then penetrated another house. The blade then broke a mirror on a wall showering a 4 month old baby with broken glass which cut the baby. The blade is reported to have weighed 15 pounds which might indicate that it was on a flail mower.
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I hope the baby is okay, THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!<p>As far as the biz side of this goes, the company better hope it broke off and it didn't come loose. They could be charged with some kind of neglegence I think. If you've ever seen a flail mower the blades are on drums, and I don't think they could come off. On a batwing though, those blades are usually about 10-20 lbs and I could defenitely see one of those things flying off if it cracked around the bolt.<p>Keep us postd on the details<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti