Broken car window

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by handymanlawncare, Apr 3, 2008.

1. handymanlawncare

handymanlawncare LawnSite Member

The neighbor to a client had a broken window on a car that was parked in their yard. It was old and not in use. They are trying to say my employee broke it. I know they are trying to rip me off. What should I do?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

no vid of your guy doing it or police report your guy signed not your problem
  3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

don't give in and don't worry about it
  4. handymanlawncare

Now I can sleep tonight. I only charge the client 40 dollars and I am sure the window is a few hundred.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

got insurance? They might turn out to be real @holes
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have had to replace a couple over the past many years. we did it though. if you are sure the employee did not do it, i mean for sure, then forget about it. otherwise you may do the right thing and replace it to not get a bad wrap in your community.
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i had some guy and his girlfriend stop me a few years saying that we hit their front bumper with the rear tires on one of the ztr mowers . i looked at the bumper and you could see wear the clearcoat had been peeling for years, pos was just trying to scam some money ... i told him what i thought and he sped off
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious as to how you KNOW you didnt do it.
  9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I broke a window last year. Line trimming/edging next to a major road. ( I know the rules ) so I walked the curbline slowly, stopping as traffic drove passed. (redlight 3 blocks down) Long story short, 20 minutes later, a work van pulls up, new version, gentleman in his 50's, clean cut, seemed pretty sincere in letting me know I threw a rock into his windshield. I was torn, cause I know that rock would have gone 40-50feet across two lanes, since there was no traffic when I trimmed. He showed it to me, it was definately knicked, the stone dust was still on the window. So I paid it.
    Didn't need to deal with any BS.
  10. handymanlawncare

When I pulled up in my truck I niticed the old car sitting in the yard and I said aw man it is going to rain in that car. Then, the owner of the house that I was mowing told me look at that back window the front one was busted last week, now that one. I said what do those people do drive bys? He said I don't know. I unloaded the trailor and got to work.