Broken Caster on walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by X-mow, Sep 15, 2003.

1. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever had this happen:

What I don't understand is that I was just mowing when it broke ,I didn't hit anything.:confused: And it looks like its been breaking for a while.Its suppused to be a solid rod ,but its got grease between the parts except inthe light gray spot which was evidently the last spot to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Is it breaking near those red x's? That would be my forst plan of action- wipe those off before you mow. LOL

In all seriousness, I would like to see those pics...

Sorry about your bad luck.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Here I was wondering if it was my computer messin' up. Glad you put that in your response.

x-mow, is there any way you could try to resubmit those pictures on this thread? Can't tell what your talking about from your description. Thanks.

4. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

5. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Sorry I'll try again

picture 002.jpg

6. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

this is inside the hole in the part with the wheel

picture 001.jpg

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the weld broke. What kind of mower is it.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

You've caught me off guard. I too thought those were solid. Have to agree with J&R on the weld breaking. Is the whole caster filled with grease, or is it just around the break? If the caster is solid, but has grease around the point where it broke then grease would have come from the support it fits into.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

All a weld joint needs is the slighest imperfection to spread and one day give up completely. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong, like many things, its time was just up.

10. It's a caster from a Toro isn't it?
    I've owned four of them.
    I had one castor break off like that.
    It was a bad weld from the factory. The way they assemble them by putting the shaft thru the wheel yoke before welding reinforces it. It can take years for it to finally snap off.
    Good news is it's real easy to fix. The only thing that broke is just the old weld. Just gind it out really good.
    might mention to the welder to line the lock pin hole up, front to rear, or you'll have to watch that thing mowing sideways from then on. (don't ask me how I know this)

Mine was just a slag weld like they forgot to turn the gas on on their MIG welder. It was a wonder to me how it lasted that long.

Congradulations on not mowing over the wheel when it broke.
    I ran over mine destroying the tire and put a big old nick in the yoke. It didn't hurt the spindle though. those mowers are tough!

Dave