Broken deck on 21" Toro Proline

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Jul 31, 2006.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Have a broken deck on a 21" Proline. The broken part is totally missing from the deck. It is 4" X 5" where the right rear mulching baffle is. This area gets lots of abuse from mulching.

This machine has had 2 years of heavy use, over 1200 hours. I am not wanting to spend big $$ on fixing it, but the honda engine still purrs.

Weld? Patch? Strip for parts???
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the missing part from erosion or rust or anything or did it just get blasted out or something?

Make a clean cut around the area to square it off then if you are good at welding throw a patch over the area. Must be a steel deck correct? If you arent a skilled welder then take it to a shop that has talented people.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If I had it here I would weld a patch on it and call it a day.....
  4. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

It is a "die cast aluminum" deck.

I was told by a friend that it would take a special type of welding. He suggested a propeller repair shop.

It was a clean break from 2 sides, one side is a bit jagged, and the 4th side is the deck edge. ;)
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good god man. How do you manage to break a die cast deck?

Anyway, welding aluminum is much much different than welding steel and you will need to find a shop that can do that for ya. Same rule applies though, a welder with experience welding aluminum can fix ya up no problem.
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on how pretty you want it to look.

Heliarc for a clean weld. However I have stick welded with alum. rods and have had satisfactory results.

My Proline/Suzuki 2 cycle is now over 12 years old with major hours on it and ready for retirement. It has several patches welded on as employees have 'found' new objects in the grass with the mower rather than performing a walkaround check at a new site. All the welds were done by stick. No heliarc.