Lawn Care Forum banner

Broken equipment

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Mo Green 
#1 ·
Where do you guys take your broken equipment - when it can't be fixed? Are there any special places that recycle parts?

I don't feel like taking both of my 21" mowers to the dump, is there another way to dispose of them?

Another question: what do you all do with large quantities of stale gas?

Seth

#2 ·
My county takes both items and recycles them. When we go to the county recycling center there are different dumpsters for different materials. Trash, construction debris, large and small yard waste, cardboard, metals. refrigs and a/c, computers etc. One thing you do not want to do at our recycling center is get caught putting the wrong material in the wrong dumpsters. You will be diving in to get it back out.

They also take hazardous wastes like gasoline on special days.

#7 ·
where I live there's no recycling program so I would strip everything that I thought I could use from the machine and then haul it to the dump.

I would feed the stale gas into my car or pickup (mixed with fresh) until it was gone.

#10 ·
Around here, old equipment is scavenged before the trash truck ever gets here. Put it out front and forget it.

As for old gas, I pour it into a plastic container and drop it off at the oil change place down the street. They don't mind taking it when they are closed! :cool2:

One day about 6 months ago I made it my mission to find out where in the world to take old gas. After 20 minutes in the phone book calling one number after the other and getting referred and referred and referred. . . the best answer was to drive 45 miles away to another town and pay about $25 to dispose of 6 gallons. . .and not even to a waste company. Through the phone calls I was able to find a company and happened to have a container that they used to dispose of their waste fuel and they were going to be nice and let me pour mine into it if I paid my part!

Needless to say, I saved myself $25, a round trip of 90 miles, and 2.5 hours by using a different method. If the stupid environmentalist waco POS's want to do something to help, they need to make places for people to get rid of spent oil and old gas. . .and it needs to be free or people won't do it. I think alot of people are like us and willing to do our part but don't know how and certainly aren't going to pay to get rid of waste such as this.

#12 ·
Travis Followell said:
I agree. There's nowhere around here to take used oil or old gas to dispose of it correctly for recycling or whatever. We have a a 50 gallon drum of used oil and we don't know what to do with it. Right now its sitting in the corner of the barn and I guess thats where it will stay.
Travis;
Locate someone with a waste oil heater. Some garages and repair shops have them. They will come to get your waste oil, gladly.

#14 ·
I go around and collect dead mowers, and bring them back here, see if they're worth fixing, fix them, if not, part them out, and put the hulks around back until I have enough to get a load together to take and sell for scrap metal.

#15 ·
As for gas, run it throuh your truck a little at a time.

As for broken equip, take off what you might use and take it to the curb(someone will usually take it before the garbage man does), sell it to a repair shop who will use it for parts, or take it and sell it as scrap metal.

As for used motor oil or anti-freeze, take it to a recycling center, or auto parts shops like autozone, murray's, pep boys. They will take 5 gallons at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.