broken fork.........

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FCS Services, Nov 1, 2010.

1. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Today i broke a fork on my super Z............ this seemingly strong as a rock part snapped like a pencil......... has this happened to anyone else ????

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Don't hear of this often, where did it snap? did you hit something? or it just snapped in the middle of mowing?

3. FCS Services

was entering a lawn and was starting to go up a 4" dirt edge...... i was surprised when it broke. i have gone up and over countless curbs 8-10" tall. either the fork was weak (2004 model) or i stressed it just right ???

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Weird... if it was weak it would of done something years ago...

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would bet it hit something awhile ago and had a small crack and over time it fatigued at that point and snapped when it was done.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is a 2004 model. It did not just break. The metal was cracked at an earlier point in time, which caused fatigue. How it was cracked I don't know, but it took a good blow to cause the initial problem to begin, and eventually resulted in what you saw, which was breaking for what appeared as no apparent reason.

7. FCS Services

it snapped right at the top of the fork..........

all said here makes sense..... IDK ???

8. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

I have broken 1 on my 01 and two on my 05 it was from curbs and the heavy weights on the ft wheels BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL

9. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this should'nt happen, but the good news is if you go to you dealer or some-one who runs hustler.. They should have a spare fork or two as not being able to get a super z with FF pre-installed has flooded the public with standard forks.. Hell, If you pay shipping I'll send you a Pair, That'll leave me with 3..