1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

broken gear box mount on Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Nov 1, 2004.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

My Turf Tiger with 1300 hours started throwing the deck belt as soon as blades were engaged, and eventually shreaded the belt. I tried replacing the bearings in the tensioner which looked worn, but it did not solve the problem. Scag dealer called Scag and told me there was a problem with the spring tension on units sold around the time I bought mine, and the fix was for me to drill a hole in the tensioner 1/2 inch away from existing hole to put more tension on the spring. I wasn't satisfied with that fix and took the mower to the dealer I origionally bought it from (no longer a Scag dealer) and found that the gear box mount had cracked and was causing the box to twist and throw the belt. I love my TT, but Scag has been too difficult to deal with, and parts have become way too expensive. I hope my mower makes it until my new Gravely gets here in late November...