Broken hitch pin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnjox, Mar 4, 2011.

1. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member

Just wanted to share this with you guys! It happens

hitch pin.jpg
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

How did you do that? Seems like the retainer pin should have no load on it.
  3. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen one break...guess it does happen....did it come off while you were towing?
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That drawbar pin didn't break. It was worn down to where the end started to flex and then it snapped off from fatiguing back and forth.

I can think of no reason that should happen if everything is properly installed. The clip would have had to have rotated around the pin thousands of times to wear it down like that.

Did you install the drawbar and pin yourself? I'm a little confused because there appears to be ZERO wear on the clip.

What kind of hitch is it? Do you know the brand name and how about the drawbar? Do you know the brand name of it? Something is seriously amiss there and it will probably occur again.

Check the hitch carefully and see if you can find where the pin might have worn at. There should be wear and shiney metal there somewhere.
  5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

This problem is very rare but on your case you should up grade to harden steel pins just for the extra safety

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

7. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member

Its unclear to me as well, it is a reese pin and drawbar and a valley hitch, it is rare we ever pull the pins. That set up has 10's of thousands of miles on it. The next pin will have a hole in it instead of the slot. I will be replacing all hitch pins. Just wanted to share something crazy that happens. It broke off when we removed the trailer from the drawbar. No real indication of wear!
  8. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

any chance you have been hammering on the end to remove the pin?
  9. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member

No hammering here, we almost never remove the pins from the hitches. I have never seen one you had to hammer out!
  10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Prolly made in China and not hardened.