Broken Internet Cable..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by qualityscapes, Jul 13, 2007.

1. qualityscapes

qualityscapes LawnSite Member

Today I was working on filling in a pool for a lady. When she then asked me to dig out some lilac's from her house. Well we did, but upon pulling out the last one out came her telephone DSL line to. I had my TC 30 with loader and backhoe but we did not use it since it was so close to the house. If that makes any difference?

I have "Lawn Care" business insurance through Erie. My question is will this insurance cover me in case Verizon holds me financially accountable? Anyone with similar experiance?

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Personally,
    If Verizon held me accountable, I would pay out of pocket. I think it would be better to eat a couple of hundred bucks (Which is all a cable repair should cost at the very most) that to have my insurance go up

3. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea-- pay out of pocket for sure...

4. qualityscapes

qualityscapes LawnSite Member

So you think for an internet lined to be spliced and repaired or re-ran should only be a few houndred bucks?

The box on the house and the conduit into the house is only a 15 ft span. I thought it would have been way more expesnive.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Typically the home owner is responsible for utility markings on their property so if you, the contractor, messed up a cable, the home owner is the one who pays - at least in Texas anyways.
    The only way a contractor is responsible is when a utility is marked and the contractor hits it - then the contractor buys it.

6. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

For years and years i was lucky never to have hit a utility of any kind. Then came 2000, i hit my first gas line without a mark-out. End result was a $3000.00 first offense fine by the NJ board of public utilities and a gas company repair bill of $700.00 and change. For the next three years i hit about 5 or six more, including a 2" main gas line. It sucks! Call 911, evacuate the neighborhood and Waite for the fire departments, ambulances, utility company's, cops and even more official type characters. I learned my lesson after the first event and always had a mark-out from then on. I stayed well away from there lines. The rest of my hits were outside the mark-out area of 30" or more. One mark-out was twenty feet away from where i hit there gas line. "WTF" I can go on and on here, but i think you get the point. Call before you dig and be careful taking on quick and spontaneous digging jobs just because you and your equipment are there. The law of averages gets us all eventually, just try to put him off as long as you can.

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

man dont even stress about this ive done it 4 times in 2years and never got a charge once, the first time i did it i was wettin my pants till they told me it dosent cost a dime. dont worry

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I used to run cable and phone lines. It is a cheap and easy repair. Do not worry about.

9. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I dont do digs, but before I dig in my own yard I call the company and have them come out and mark my underground lines. Shouldnt you have in your contract or a verbal agreement that if the line is not marked, your not responsible for damage to it??

10. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

I cut into one of customer's cables once upon a time. I told them, they said not to wory about it...come to find out it was a piggyback to a neighbor's satelite hookup, hehe.:)