Broken Loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SiteSolutions, Oct 7, 2007.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My new T-190 broke down on me last week.

I was digging along and all of a sudden, I get three beeps and no more travel. The loader arms and aux hydraulics still function, but the "traction" light went out and the thing would no longer move itself around.

It's been at the dealer since Thursday and they told me last thing Friday that they ordered a new controller and a new wiring harness. They also said they shipped them ground. May be late this week before I am back digging again.

Does anybody else have SJC on their Bobcat? Seen any problems like this? From the error codes it was throwing, my guess is the power supply in the little brain that interprets the input from the joysticks got fried.

I have only had this machine about 4 months, only have a little over 300 hours on it. I must say that this sort of thing is not confidence inspiring. I have used a little of my unexpected time off to shop around at a couple other dealers and ask them a lot of questions about their warranties.

2. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Gotta hate that eh, Did they at least give you a loaner machine? That's one thing about with the big boys You break down they float you a machine without hesitation no questions asked. Sorry to hear that your having problems already

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

They screwed you on the shipping. When something like that happens, it should be shipped "red" which means next day. Cost difference in freight is minimal, cost difference to you in down time is big. Don't let that happen again. Insist that they ship "red" and they eat the extra cost.

4. leathelbuzzkill

leathelbuzzkill LawnSite Member

break down= sux ::cry: :cry:
    are you thinking about switching skid steer loader manufacturers?

5. SiteSolutions

Yeah, I was not real happy with that. They coulda fed-exed it or at least shipped UPS Red. Hell, I coulda run up to ND and picked up the parts this weekend! I probably will only lose Friday and maybe one or two days this week; I have some tractor work I can go do tomorrow and maybe one more day this week.

They already told me the mechanic coming out to get it moving and onto my trailer wasn't covered. They let me use a rental unit Thursday afternoon but asked that I bring it back that evening if at all possible. I don't really like to have to explain to people how they should treat customers; usually if someone screws around with me, I don't bother getting mad, I just stop dealing with them.

Still, they have been a good bunch to deal with in the past about loaning a machine, fixing stuff inexpensively, etc, so I am a little puzzled about this apparent B.S... I mean, honestly, can you imagine treating any of your customers this way? I don't think it qualifies as "taking advantage of" but I am sure it is "taking for granted"

Maybe I will put in a call to the main office down in Birmingham to ask WTF they are doing.

6. SiteSolutions

This is my third Bobcat and they have mostly done what I asked of them so far. I am always considering what else is out there but it is a big deal to my operation to move to a new brand... they all have quirks and issues and certain things that experienced owners / operators know about them that I will have to learn all over again if I go to a diff brand. That, and winter is the wrong time to get into a new machine. We'll see how it plays out.

I was just fishing to see if I can expect more of this down the road or if this is just a fluke.

7. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Time to turn to new holland, or cat. I hate when dealerships play those games

8. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Ain't that the truth! :dizzy:

9. SiteSolutions

It's fall break this week; the Cat salesman took off for Florida with his family on Friday so it will be a few days before I can take a look at a Cat.

I have a fair relationship with the NH dealer as I rent his Takeuchi mini-ex all the time. Haven't ever thought of NH as a step up from the Bobcat, maybe more of a lateral move? But I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least look at one, would it?

10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I bet Huntsville is starting to turn pretty as the leaves are starting to change..
    good luck on the other brands. Major reason why I don't change often.. I get used to a certain brand, in my operation it's bobcat, but if bobcat won't keep up, i will have to make the learning curve on a new CAT loader. Same goes for Vermeer..better keep up with the competition.