Broken sander chain

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Stephen, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

Anyone have any suppliers that sell replacement chains for sanders or other replacement chain products? If any of you guys out there ever replaced a chain, how much did you pay?

Thanks,

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

CPW sells replacement chains, and Alan has a really easy way to replace them. After cutting the old chain apart, pin the new one to the end of the old one, then very slowly engage then disengage the clutch, that way the old one will pull the new one through.After its through, just pin the ends of the new one together, and adjust as needed.
    Dino

3. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

Anyone know of any other chain manufacturers? In any state, i can check into shipping.

Thanks,

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Steve,Liberty chain corp is still in business arent they? they are not to far from you,in Liberty,I can dig up the # it'll take me a while though-its at the shop.They can make any chain you need.

5. Alan

Alan Member

It's pretty easy to make a drag chain, and a bunch cheaper than buying a factory one. If you've got a bearing or power transmission supply in yoru area go check on the price of "Pintle Chain". Most of them are that style of chain. Take a sample with you and they can measure it and match it up. If you have any welding skill at all you just weld crossbars between two lengths of chain, being careful to keep them square across the width of the crossbar. Takes a couple hours at the most and can be a couple hundred less than a factory chain.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

alan,thanks for the tip-when i took a link out of mine this fall,ii thought to myself-i could make this chain pretty easy,guess you've done it before.My bradford has a narrower chain than most,so i would have to make one as opposed to buying it,i havent priced one,but im sure they are proud of them.

7. BillNero

BillNero LawnSite Member
    from IL

Alan,

Just curious if you have made a chain - what did the parts cost you and how much time did it take you?

THINK SNOW!

Bill Nero

8. Alan

Alan Member

It was several years ago that I made a chain for on old Torwell that we were using then. I can't remember what the components did cost, but I know it was an easy one evening project and as I recall I kept about $50 an hour in my pocket by making it myself.

9. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

thanks for the tips guys. I bought a chain for my sander about a week and a half ago. It cost $190 plus tax. i had it made and picked it up within 2 hours. I am looking for other chain manufacturers for other chain product for some other business information so any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,