1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

broken side walk,old man still very very mad and still mowing the lawn next to him

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, May 29, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well im sure you guys saw the last thread i made about this problem im having with an old customer.well i use to mow his lawn last year and i stopped because he tried to pull a fast one on me about his new sidewalk that he said i broke.well he came over to me today and started a fight with me and my two workers.there were kids outside and he was saying all kinds of words yah know.well he then left we started mowing and he came over again and walked in front of my ztr.well i didn't stop and he got out of the way just in time.then he left again and came over when i was done.started a bigger fight.touching my rig and he said he was going to court about his sidewalk.then he made a really bad move.he pushed me about 3 times,after he was done with the third push i slapped his arm away.then i made a nice fist and punched him right dead center in the face.one of my workers called the cops before all this started.everyone was outside watching this.i felt that it had to be done there was nothing else i could do anymore.it wasn't right in front of the kids to use that language or cause a fight.so the cop let him go home with a blood covered face because it was on my customers prop and the cop saw him pushing me first.i will be going to court for that and small claims court too.so what would you guys of done if someone did the same thing to you.
  2. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Now thats entertainment !

Go ahead make my day ! :D
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough one Mike. I believe I would have waited for the cops especially since it was an old man. However, that kind of thing is beyond "what I would have/ should have done".
    Those things happen the way they do and there is no way to change it. I guess you did what you had to...the old man certianly went too far, so I guess you were not right but not wrong either.

Hope all goes well. I doubt the old man will mess with you again.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Walk away....load up... and come back to finish with a restraining order and a video camera and wait for him to make a move. Now...your in control.

Sorry that happened to you. He must love his sidewalk.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You Got Lucky! Next time wait For the Police And have him arrested.
    It sucks Because what You did i would have done the First Push.
    Good Luck John.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Hard to say, as I was not there.

Hitting somebody no matter how many witnesses I had and no matter how much they provoked me would be THE LAST STRAW though.

Good luck in court.
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well very true guys,but im not the type to leave and come back to finish a job up.hes not going to mess up my day.yes the cop was going to take us both in but because i had a cut on my shoulder and he had a blood covered face he let us both leave but he made out a report and the old guy got a ticket for something.
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

how old are we talking. hehe your only 23 I'm probably considered old by your standards. I feel you mite have let it go a bit far by punching him but I was not there and a guy can only take so much when someone is in your face pushing ya.

hope all works out but I'm sure the feud has just really begun:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin
  9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember this jackarse from your old post. Hard to forget. Sorry the situation came to this.

I disagree with some others here though & think this war is far from over.....at least in the mind of the guy with the broken sidewalk. In my opinion he will never let it go and will probably even try to escalate. A person like this will probably spend a lot of time figuring out how to make life difficult for you. He's already having a go of it.

Like we said in the old post, if he "goes to court" over his broken sidewalk as he said, so what. He does not have a claim.

Regarding the fight, he was obviously the instigator in the cop's eyes since they wrote him a ticket. Still, you'll need the cop plus your employees to testify & maybe talking to his neighbors to find other witnesses would be a good way to start building your case. That's what it's come to.

You have a good name in your area and need to protect it. Some people are not going to agree with your actions no matter what the circumstances were. Others will probably applaud. I think you need to make a strong defense and/or offense for yourself no matter how you look at it. A restraining order might be a good place to start.
  10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You are probably both going to lose on this one, sat in court a while back and they brought two guys in that had been in a fight. They had two officers that had witnessed one of the guys starting it, so the judge threw out the assault charges but nailed both of them for disturbing the peace, seems like it was $250 each. I wouldn't be too surprised if your customer cancels also, sure wouldn't want that type of situation on my property. Looks like just the beginning of a whole load of trouble for you. Especially if the old dude decides to sue you for injuries, he might not win but you might get to spend your summer defending yourself in court, and giving part of your income to a lawyer.