1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

broken sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Sep 4, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: Who is responsible for the head being run over by your mower?????

I have in our contract we are not responsible for sprinklers getting damaged by our mowers. Sorry sprinkler guys i tell our cutomers that if were shearing of head that are not closing correctly that they should call their sprinkler techs.

Replacing a spinkler head can get costly, esp if yo clip 10 or so, Heads that you can't see until it passes under your deck and then its to late. Thanks T
  2. General Grounds

:blob2: Who is responsible for the broken sprinkler head?

we have in our contracts that we are not responsible for breaking sprinkler heads. Sorry sprinkler guys we tell our customers that ifwe are shearing off their heads, that they should call their sprinkler guy.

why should we be responsible for a head not closing properly, and that we can not see until it passes under our deck and out the side. Just curious to how you guys handle this proplem? Thanks T.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You really get away with this? Interesting. If we have a customer with a sticky sprinkler, we offer to replace it before it gets broken.
  4. General Grounds

get away with what, we dont sprinkler repairs, and correct me if im wrong but is't it the responsiblity of the sprinkler comp. to check all heas during their spring turn on, and possibly cut donut around the heads.
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We would replace anything that we break on a property.
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I don't have a dog in this but if we break it, we will replace it. I'd prefer to replace a sprinkler head than loose an account. The economics in this unfortunate situation is a no brainer, at least to me.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we'll this might be a touchy one ...... we break it ..... we fix it ….. but we don't just cut grass ......we are a Grounds Maintenance Company …it’s our job to bring to the customer’s attention areas of concern within their property ……this includes preventive maintenance …or faulty heads …on our full service we replace them n bill it

as a system becomes older n the heads fail to close .....this is a great opportunity to create some extra income .....or just remember "hey that head is faulty" .... to hit a head is usually 50-50 at who’s fault .....but if you don’t bring it to their attention than I’d have to say it 100% to fault …but if you told then of it ….we’ll them maybe replace at cost (they buy it ….you install it)
  8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If we break it, we fix it. Thats our rule! What do you do if you throw a rock through a window? Does your customer fix the window because "YOU" didnt put the rock there? Same principle.
  9. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

If we break it we fix it too unless the home owner is told of a high head that was installed wrong . Heads not going down is just part of the game in mowing grass. After awhile you know which ones don't go down.
  10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Simple we break it we fix it. parts are cheap! ;)