1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Broken trimmer; use as backup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

My redmax bc225 went out on my a few days ago. They first said it was the clutch shoes, which would have been $80-90. Come to find out it is A LOT more than that, and it will total about $175 to repair. I already bought a new bc225. Should I fix the old one and use it as a back up, or just use it for parts incase something goes wrong with my new trimmer? This is quite an amatuer question, but I would just like to know what you guys would do if it were you.
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

For a 175.00 id go buy a echo 2100 for my backup and use that one you got for parts.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used or even looked at an echo. If they're that inexpensive, will they hold up for commercial use?
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

the 21cc is an alright trimmer. qualitylandscaping runs one. i used to before i got my 26cc. it will hold up, but its not as powerful as the 26cc, its a good trimmer though, i liked it. i just needed more power.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i use the 2100 everyday. its great for routine maintenace, but the heavier stuff, like brush, you'll need something else. But as a back up........... excellent. I think mine has 2 year warranty, could be wrong. Also, if you're in a jam, and nowhere near a dealer, home depot carries some parts for it, and there's a HD every other block around here!
  6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is 5 years old still runs like a champ. I ran it over last year so it my backup now. It went from a strait shaft to a curved shaft broke the throttle cable :D :D
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad has the 2100 It's reliable, but it is really feeble. I use his for a back up sometimes HEHE!!
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely keep the Redmax for parts. It's amazing some of the little things you can end up harvesting off of an old trimmer - things you would never think of.