Broken window Pay or no pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Jun 14, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I had one of my property managers call today and leave a message saying we broke a window today. How do you guys handle that situation. I did the mowing and I didn't remember hitting anything(not to say it didn't happen) but I guess one of my guys could have trimming. I just thoiught it strange for no one to come get us right when it happened. And if no one was there at the time how do they know we did it? Could have been kids? I just get funny about things like this because when you are in business everybody thinks they can get something from you or free from you. I had a guy try to have me replace his pool liner because we removed a 2 x 2 concrete block from his pool deck. He said the vibration made the liner come apart. I mean ridiculous stuff. Anyway it is possible that we did it because the place is basically a rock farm with a little grass but it also possible we didn't. All my mowers have disccharge chutes for protection and we use them but in a place like this where there is a lot rocks they might not help. What do you guys do when you have a place that is like this?

2. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

windows happen. i had 2 bust in one week a couple weeks ago. NAPA and Waffle House...if you know waffle House windows are the BIG ones. i dont remember half these incodents either. rocks fly so fast and sometimes these things arent noticed right away.

i usually opt to pay for them out of pocket because i had an insurance company drop me for too many windshield claims one year. you can claim them, but if you can swing the repair, pay it and right it off as a repair. you'll keep the client happy anyway.

but i noticed this was your first year. dont sweat windows...they happen.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Just fix it & make them happy. If you make them pay for it, you're going to lose a customer. What's more expensive - a $200 window or money from them the whole year?

4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

been full time (mowing-in business for 6) for about 3 years and so far no windows till now.

5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

pay for the window - it seems pretty likely that it was you despite your precautions.

I thought your question was going to be if you should make them pay for the mowing. I pay for the window to get fixed as quickly as possible (usually a few days) and still charge for the mowing.

There is a window guy I work with and send about 1.5 jobs a year to him.

6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

sorry, i misread the numbers on the join date.

7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I broke one today. While I was edging the sidewalk a rock flew up and hit the storm window on the front door. It cost me $165.00. The worst part is the house is a Townhouse that I charge $25.00. I should have stayed home today. I broke one last year and paid for it aswell. I don't want to make any unneccesary claims on my insurance, plus I have a $500.00 deductable.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I budget two grand per year in broken windows, vehicle or structure, before my crews end up paying for their screw ups. Usually by May they have hit their limit and end up paying about twenty each on average per person per window.

9. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

What are the odds of hitting a window? Say if your mowing 40-60 small yards a week? This kind of worries me having to repair one :). And what usually causes them to break? Trimmer, edger, mower? Any way to prevent?

10. Bama Mower

Bama Mower LawnSite Member

I would pay for it out of my pocket. I dont think that there is really a way to prevent it. I was weedeating at a storage building and caught a rock and it flew up into the window and hit the lady at the desk in the arm. She thought it was funny and wouldnt let me pay for it. Her storage buildings are pretty much all gravel. I mean its bound to happen sometime.