Broken Window - What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, Apr 22, 2005.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

We mow a commercial account, $26,000 per year w/ a 3.2% increase each year in July, NO rebidding each year and they throw extra work like limb removal to extra clean ups also (last yr extra $7500)

2 days ago, My sister (she's the reason I found out about the job & only one person knows we are kin) called me and said a window has been hit and has a crack in it.

We have not been there in 10 days.

Saw the crack yesterday

But the place where it happened is in a cubby hole - no one goes in there and there is really no way a bb gun could have done it. The odds are that we did it ( there are rocks in the place)

So do I call the liability company or wait until the physical plant director hears and comes asking? Protest it since it was 10 days late

Maybe the director will say no biggy and they'll take care of it and have us clean up the rocks and we charge them. (wishful thinking)
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I would approach him first, and have a sit down and see what comes of it. Is it a huge window? Might get an estimate and see if it is repairable without going through your insurance. I think he will respect you more if you bring it to him, especially since you know about it.
  3. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

Yeah I'm with Marko. Talk to manager first. If under $2000 to replace I would keep insurance out of it.
  4. wrestlingcoach

It is big: double paned 8ft by 8 ft tinted glass
  5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Your sister got you the job. Your sister told you about the window. You know the right thing to do. To do otherwise reflects poorly on you, and on your sister.Fix it. Out of your pocket, or insurance.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't believe you had to ask this question. What do teachers preach to their students. HONESTY! If I thought I broke a window, you bet I would come forward. Business reputation is important.
  7. wrestlingcoach

I know the right answer but just wanted to hear the funny replies

She'll talk to him today and they already have my insurance certification letter
    I just need to do the proper steps, I call the insurance company and so forth

I'll just pay the $250 deductible
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Funny replies??? Only thing really funny(not), is that it makes you look unethical.
  9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't have a deductible for other peoples stuff. The insurance should pay without a cent coming out of your pocket. The deductible should only apply to personal property.
  10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

???????????? unethical for asking a question.....