Broken window, who's at fault????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jun 9, 2004.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok here's the set up. Have had this account for a few years. Customer has kids. At first, kids would always leave their toys in the yard. After a few cuts, I had trained the customer to have the yard cleaned up before I arrive. Only a few times since I would have to remind her of stray toys left in the yard. Well, I was mowing yesterday, and ran over a tennis ball. Never saw it. Busted out a window. Who's responsible for replacing it??? And yes I have GL ins, but it's a matter of principle.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

unless it's a gigantic window, don't claim it. probably wouldn't meet your minimum for deductable and would just drive your premiums up. have you discussed it with the customer yet?

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I would say you ran over it, so it's your fault. But you might consider some sort of penalty for the customer for not picking up their yard.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ultimately.. you are responsible.

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

My policy doesn't have a deductible and my premiums don't go up even if I make a claim.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What kind of insurance company are you using? Sign me up:)

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

Maybe so but......try this on for size. Was mowing a commercial property last year. Ran over a steel rod. Bent my shaft and messed up the blades. Turns out a cable company truck cut a turn too sharp, hit the curb and the rod fell out into the yard. So I'm I "ultimately responsible" for this??? The cable company didn't think so. They paid for all damages incurred.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

must not have been an aol/time warner cable company! i don't know, i say both are at fault. maybe you can agree to go half's on it.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Try this....

Ask the customer nicely, if they would mind reporting it to THEIR homeowners ins.

-OR- If it's a cheap window, and will likely not cost enough to go over their deductable. Just say, While I hit the ball, YOU left it there. Let's go halfers on the window!

Might work out OK!

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my position is you are responsible.

forget the principle of the matter talk.

you were mowing. you ran over the tennis ball. your mower shot the tennis ball into the window.

this is a matter of being large about the issue and taking care of your customer. JMO.

GEO