Broken window...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I was edging Friday and I chunked a acorn i think and shattered a window to a front storm door. The owner was really cool and understood so he kept insisting i just get the glass instead of the whole door. So I went to Home Depot and the glass was only 60 instead of 400 for the new door. So that was not bad. I shattered it with a new trimmer i bought Thurs. nite and was taking it out for the first time. So I was thinking I screwed up pretty bad so do I make this situation as good as it was or better. Do I only get him the glass and not charge for that cut? Or would you get him a gift card maybe to a resturaunt. His yard is a 30 dollar cut.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy should pay you, and no way I'd give them free anything. But you should replace the window, free of charge

3. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Replace glass only, nothing else.

4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

All you have to do is replace the window, but if you really want their respect wave the cut or get them a gift card to a restaurant like you said.

5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i say you do! And then he will really respect you.

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

forget that! replace the glass and apologize. that is all that's needed.

7. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

I'v done this before. We just apologized and cut the lawn till we payed it off.It was like two cuts.

8. The Tank

The Tank LawnSite Member

I have done this also - mowing tough. The manager at the apartments said he would take care of it. It is nice to know that there are customers out there that appreciate your work and know accidents happen sometimes.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

i agree with tex....he should pay for the work done and you should pay to replace the storm door. :cool:

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the client. If the client is a PITA, screw em, replace the door at your expense and charge for the work done. If the client is a good egg, put a gift card for a restaurant of the sort in with the next invoice, it will go a long way.