Broken window

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shilohlandscaping, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I'm cutting my own yard yesterday and a tiny piece of gravel from locking sand..(I used it between some pavers in a lawn border..) flew off my trimmer and hit the neighbors Ford Excursion back side window. Must have sat there spiderwebbing for a while, because after I had turned off the trimmer and was standing about 10 ft. away, POP! We live on a golf course so I was looking for the ball before realizing what had happened.

Anyway, I called my insurance and they said to call a couple of auto glass dealers. $3300.00!!!! Can you believe that? Now,... if I pay cash, it will be $580.00. Makes you wonder why insurance rates are so high.. Anybody else ever run into that kind of price for a broken window?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats crazy, i broke a double pained, diamond cut window on a church door and it was 500 bucks

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

try a salvage yard? how many places did you get in touch with? insuarnces pay dirt, that's why they have to charge the insurance companies so much. to cover their costs... and then that gets transferred to us :angry: .
    if there was such a thing as lawn insurance, you'd have to charge the company 80 dollars for what would normally be a 20 dollar cut. that way you actually get you're 20.

my wife worked a dental surgeons assistant. on an $800 root canal, the average insurance company would only give him 2 or 3 hundred. that's why they like the cash patients. payup

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats a lot of money for that window. I would pay for it out of pocket and not through insurance

5. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Did you tell them you didn't want to buy the Excursion only replace the back side glass? :realmad:

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

This year alone I had 8 windows and doors that I payed for. That's business.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

see if your homeowners will cover it

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it's stupid, but isn't it the truth that just about any replacement part is going to be more expensive on the Excursion than the Explorer? You should've broken your other neighbors F-150's back window instead. Guess your aiming was off a bit, eh?

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I was accused of breaking a $400 triple pane Low E Argon filled Specially made window at a customers house a couple months ago. I know there is no way I broke the window because of where it was located but he insisted that I did. (he has 2 rock throwing kid's that have broke several others). Anyway, that was the 1st broke window in 10 years of business so I guess thats good.

10. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Yardpro is right on the money w/ this one. You were taking care of your own home. Just because you own a landscaping company doesn't mean this goes through your business insurance. You were acting as a homeowner. This will be covered under the liability portion of your homeowners insurance. Turn this matter over to them. You will not be responsible for a deductilbe under most homeowner liability policies either.
    Or for $500 bucks, you may just want to be kept in good graces w/ your insurance company and neighbor, and pay it out of pocket.
    good luck