1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

broken wrist

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lurch, Mar 27, 2007.

1. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys ever had to operate with a broken appendage?....i broke my wrist yesterday in a four-wheeler accident and i need some pointers to get along with this damn immobilizer on...

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you can only do what you can take it easy my brother broke his last spring and you just have to take it easy thats all i can say
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Take that immobilizer off and work through the pain!!! Thats how you get the job done! Ok, thats really not my advice. Man, it sure is a busy time of the year around the metroplex to have a broken wrist slowing you down. Maybe hire somebody to help you out for 3 or 4 weeks? That way you can let the wrist heal correctly without doing further damage.
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

A few years back I dislocated my shoulder.Took about 3 days off and back to work. Took 6 months for it to heal.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sorry to hear about your wrist lurch.
    But if this is your business, and you are going to be supporting yourself solely from it, then it's time to think about staying away from dangerous hobbies.
    If it's your livelihood, then you shouldn't be putting yourself at risk unnecessarily.
    That's just like ben roethlisberger starter quarterback for the steelers riding a motorcycle without a helmet. :dizzy: :hammerhead:
  6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the broke wrist. I broke my left wrist in a bad crash when I used to race quads. I then cracked the other bone in the same wrist about 6 months later- while practicing on a track.I know it sounds like I wasn't very good but I've got the trophies to prove otherwise. :clapping:

Are you in a cast or just a sling? The bone starts healing in 24 hours so if you are in a cast- you could take a couple of days off and then get back to work. I hope its not your right hand- I guess you could crank your trimmers with your left hand. Good luck.
  7. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Get a helper for Trimming and blowing
    you use a Z or Standar
  8. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i broke my left wrist, sprained the right, scratched up my stomach and thigh and my neck and back are a little sore...i went over one tabletop and thought i had enough speed to finish off the course with a step-up but i didn't have enough speed....i endoed into the face of the step-up and went over the bars....the quad followed and rolled me about 3-4 times...pretty nasty crash....

luckily this is my part-time gig...hopefully my clients will understand....any advice how to word it to my clients as to why i'm not able to cut their lawns?

btw...i use w/b
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

man, your already in two lines of dangerous work.... lawn care and defending the country....majortom ..(note the rank) hit it right,.... you cant do that stuff and take the risk hahaahahah..... like your grunt training isnt rough enough.....you can work through this...

need to get a good buddy or wife or brother in law or who ever, to help though the rough spots for awhile....i hope your rideing a z, not a walkbehind...

maybe someone around here would be cool enough to help you out for a while, maybe put an ad in the employment section here...

best wishes,......

hope you feel better, and good luck
  10. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i know for a fact i can...i just want some input from guys that have gone through somthing like this...i have a guy that will watch after the business for about a week or two if i can't get things right...he's a fellow marine and he's helped me out on some jobs...i just don't want to have to pay someone when i'm so new to the biz...this came at the worst time possible...i'm doing good and BAM...i'm so discouraged now...