bronze patina dunk

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Okay, I just have two questions regarding the bronze fixture treatment per Cast spec's.

(1) If anyone has done this, does it stop the zinc effect (white stuff)?

(2) Do you have to take the housing completely apart to the protect socket or gaskets?

Tanks,

Mike M.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Mike. I am pretty sure Steve P. from CAST recommended that we use a wire brush to reduce/remove the white residue and then spray with WD40 to slow its formation. I am not aware of any 'dunking' procedure.

I certainly will not be removing any fixtures from the ground and then dunking them unless CAST is picking up the tab for time and materials. I am simply no longer going to install CAST bullet uplights in proximity to where a client might see them.

I have not installed any CAST bronze path or deck lights... for those of you who have, do they also suffer from the white zinc residue issue?

It would appear to me that CAST has a metallurgical issue with their materials or processes. I dont see this problem with any other brass fixtures I have installed and I havent seen Hydrel or Bronzelite fixtures with any apparent similar issues. (admittedly the only bronze Hydrel and Bronzelite fixtures I have encountered are underwater units and this may have something to do with it)

Regards.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

We see it a lot on new bronze backflow preventers and hose bibs, but I always sort of assumed it was hard water deposits... maybe not... but in those applications aesthetics are not a big concern...

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

did you not get the insert in em ?

Burt and I installed several large China hats about 150 ft off the Gulf. They turned white VERY quickly and if I rememeber it didnt take long for it to vanish.

I installed some small china hats for a client 70 miles inland. They turned white within a week... 3-4 mo later they are dark. Installed mushrooms for another client... cleaned after a week with CLR...Sprayed with wd40... they turned white again and have stayed a milky white for about a year now. I would stay away from the WD40 unless you do it NEW out of the box and wish to keep them bright.

Installed some new orleans and they turned white in 3 days... 2 mo later nice deep dark bronze.

Mike.. take a bullet... mix some amonia and vinegar and perhaps a bit of salt in a garden sprayer and hose it down. Keep the stuff out of the sockets. Try this with just a hate first or a bullet light. If you dont like it you can always wire brush it back to new.

This is one of the huge drawbacks to cast pathlights besides lamping options. People love em. They are sturdy as all get out and a snap to install.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I've only used the CAST fixtures once and I had the same problem with the Zinc. It took about 6 months to resolve itself.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Perhaps CAST should consider weathering all of their products between the casting stage and the assembly stage. It would take some doing, but could be the easiest solution to the problem.

How would you guys feel about receiving weathered bronze fixtures out of the box rather then shiny ones that go white for an undetermined period of time?

Regards.

7. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys install contractors or a janitorial service?

8. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

How would you guys feel about receiving weathered bronze fixtures out of the box rather then shiny ones that go white for an undetermined period of time?

Makes me remember washing new jeans with just the right amount of bleach. Now you can't buy them without prewash.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

dont complain about a price increase if you want that avalible. Cast has kept their fixtures pretty reasonable by keeping the overhead down on producing em a bit. Simple packaging....no expensive finishes...Nothing custom etc.

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres a PDF on how to take care of Bronze Statues. I thought it was pretty interesting. :drinkup:

Attached Files: