Brooming turf...Any help??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwdesign1, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mwdesign1

mwdesign1 LawnSite Member

I am currently bidding on a contract that requires the turf to be "broomed" with each mowing. It is for a sports complex.

The only brooming I am familiar with is when it is used to work in top dressing such as on putting greens and also using a power broom to clean up sand and gravel left behind from snow removal. I also know that some reel mowers have mini-brooms that are used to help stand the turf up before it is cut.

I have tried to contact the customer to get an answer but I am waiting for a reply. Do any of you have an ideas as to what "brooming" might mean in this instance.

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Brooming the turf will take time and you can cause damage unless very careful. Charge accordingly because of the damage issue.

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Get one of those commercial-powered lawn sweeps.. Should get the results they want without the risk of scalping with the broom...

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Parker / Minuteman. they make some tow behind sweepers.

We sell some echo bristle brooms to a couple companies for brushing the dirt from the baseball diamond off the infield turf.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think the customer is referring to brooming in the traditional sense one thinks of when top-dressing a putting green.
    Here it might mean displacing the clippings which can clump when mowing with either a reel mower or a rotary at lower heights.
    Depending upon the amount of machines you use, the easiest way to displace clippings when mowing at lower heights is to use a long length of chain strung between to mowers to drag or "broom" displace the clippings.

6. mwdesign1

mwdesign1 LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. can you explain the chain idea a little more?

7. Greensmaster

Greensmaster LawnSite Member

you fasten a length of hose, rope or chain between 2 mowers and drive parallel to each other, at speed, the hose breaks up clumps. we do this frequently at the golf course.