Brother-in-law borrows mower -- *&$%!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tvov, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Relatives, what to do with them? Bro-in-law's tractor breaks down, "Can I borrow one of your mowers?" Me; (Christ, Not Again!) "Sure, come pick it up". He worked with me one summer 7+ years ago, so is familiar with the machines (Never hire relatives!). Give him one of my older belt drives (Exmark Metro 48"), actually one that we use regularly because our "backup" mowers are not available at the moment. I get the dreaded call later;

"The mower broke! It won't run. I mowed my neighbor's lawn, and my front lawn, now it won't go forward. It's not my fault!"

(Okay. Let's go over this. 1. WHAT are you doing mowing the neighbor's lawn {for money!} with my commercial mower?? 2. WHAT, was someone else running it?? 3. OR, it was just sitting there, no one around, when suddenly it broke??) Of course, I don't say any of this.

Me: "Okay, I'll be over"

Go over to his house. Fortunately, one of the drive belts had just slipped off a pulley, probably when it was being pulled backwards. Fix that, all is well.

You know, it is bad enough borrowing equipment from someone who is using it to make a living, but then to mow another lawn with it... And then, of course, whenever I lend him something (usually once or twice a year), something always go wrong with it. Offered to sell him one of my older wb mowers, "Oh, I don't have any money". He is my brother-in-law, so I'm kind of stuck.

Sorry, just ranting. Have to go back out and mow!
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Family and close friends are the bad news.
  3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I understand, I really do, but,......if you were a carpenter would you be loaning your hammer and saw out to someone you know will break or lose them.
    You closed with ".....Have to go out and mow!"

There's your out.

Former employee or not, relative or not, those mowers put food on your familys table. I can't loan any longer due to 'new' insurance regs. but I'll be over to cut your lawn for you as soon as I have time. (Go when you actually have extra time.) You can probably cut it (not trim, edge or blow) faster than retrieving a damaged mower. (probably cheaper than fixing the mower)

Here's another thought. When you go over there take your wife along. Let her brag about your sucesses to his wife.......she will probably make his non-life so miserable, he wont want you to come back for a looooooonnnnnggg time. End of problem...LOL

Good luck my friend....Jim
  4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Or I hate this, "Could You Give Me A Free Mow." I hate that. :rolleyes:
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont loan my gear out. I do things for family like when my uncle had shoulder surgery and couldnt run his tractor I went and mowed his yard for about a month. But in return he does all my welding and fab work N/C.

Sometimes it can work well but most the time NOT. My Brother in law does work with me sometimes when I need extra help but its rare you can find someone that does his quality in your family.
  6. Don't have that problem , brother in-laws don't talk to me.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

I think Freud would say your just so pissed because he's bangin your sister.
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Family can be a touchy thing. I don't have many relatives so I'm doing alright with stuff like borrowing equip and money. I wish I had a big family though. I got my dad mom sister aunt and more aunts and cousins that live far away. a couple states away.
  10. Mowman99

Mowman99 LawnSite Member

Funny, I've got a brother-in-law and sister-in-law that borrow my mowers to cut there 2 ac. yard. My mother-in-law had a nice JD rider for sale and ask them if they wanted to buy it and I told my wife "they won't buy it they are using mine for free" and most times don't put gas back in it. They run out and say "your mower ran out of gas so we put $5 back in it." When they went on vacation I have decided to cut it 1 time for the cost of gas plus labor and now they are like you can cut it each time. Man I'm a sucker!!