brown after cut? PITA HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oceanpotion, Oct 22, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

I had a customer complain that her yard looked on the brown side after an initial cut. The yard was on the overgrown side so I mowed it once at a higher setting and then dropped it back to a lower setting and mowed again. I had sharpened my blades not 2 days before the cut. It had rained the previous weekend so the yard was definitely moist. I had the mulch kit on the mower and I did not notice any significant discoloration when I left the property. The yard is st. aug with a moderate amount of weeds.

The lady also complained about not pulling the weeds from her beds. I literally took my time and went through and hand pulled two 60gal. garbage bags worth of weeds from all her beds. I picked up all the dead stuff and pruned all her ornamentals. I made sure there were not any weeds in any beds

havent called her back yet but I suspect she is seeing some clippings from the grass in the beds? Anyways, I guess I am looking for advice on the discoloration situation more than anything... however I cant help to wonder if this lady is simply just a PITA customer who could never be pleased.
  2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably cut too much off the top (but you had to since it was so tall). It will green up if regularly maintained from here on out.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Just speaking from my experience with can be emerald green but if you cut over a third or so off the blade, it will look brown for a few days. If this yard was overgrown then you probably took more than a third off. I bet it will green up soon.
    That being said, this lady sounds like a complete b****. I would probably tell her to piss off..
  4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If you mulched it when it was wet then she probably can see the slimy stuff a mulching deck can leave behind if the grass is wet. I dought you turned the grass brown just from cutting it.
  5. CuttingEdge LLC

CuttingEdge LLC LawnSite Member

Since it is St. Aug, with the lack of rain we have had I would say it is just stressed and since the turf was so tall it wasn't noticeable till cut. I get that all the time, mainly with lawns that don't have irrigation. If she does, let her know to water 1" per zone once weekly (roughly 1 hr) and if she can sneek in 15-20 mins one more time during the week then the lawn should recover, and look fine.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You say you sharpened your blades 2 days prior to mowing. What kind of mower are you using and how many hours since the blades were sharpened? I can't go 2 days on my Z without changing blades. Might make 4 days with the WB and a week or so with my trim mower. It's obvious which yards were cut with sharp blades and which weren't.
  7. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Well, thank you all for your responses. Im alot less worried and confused now. It makes sense to me know that the discoloration probably came from being cut short at such an overgrown height.
    The weed thing is still puzzling me though... I really worked hard and for her to say that there were still weeds in the beds was kinda aggravating. Im gonna take lawnprosteveos advice and tell her to piss off, diplomatically of course because I get sense that there is nothing but trouble ahead with this lady. There are bigger fish to fry... :usflag: :usflag:
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

How high'd you cut it? Cutting off too much at once could shock it into some sort of discolored state. I actually have never cut too much off at once and so don't know what it looks like.

2 days may actually be too long of an interval in the sandy soil of Florida. Do you cut any Bahia or other sparse turf where sand could blast the blades?

When you have to cut overgrown stuff you should cut it a little high the first time out in case this happens just to be safe.

I had one Bermuda lawn about 12 years ago I cut wet and it turned yellow. I know mowing too much off Bermuda when wet does that, not sure about St. Aug. I assume it's affecting the chlorophyl somehow.

It's Palm Beach, she's likely just a PITA anyway! I spent a lifetime there one year.

It might be the mulched clippings that browned she's talking about I suppose. But usually St aug hides it pretty well.