Brown bed edger...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nobagger, May 9, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just wondering if anyone has used or currently use a Brown bed edger. I need to speed things up when it comes to bed edging, and for now we use the ol' McClane edger with a 9" blade to cut in then the old flat spade shovel to finish it up. But its taking wayyyyyy too long at these jobs. I have a chance to buy a barley used one for $1250.00. Its about 3 years old and has maybe 20hrs on it. How well do they work, (I will be demoing it tomorrow) Do they leave a nice clean edge or do I still have to go back through with a spade shovel to clean the edges up? Thanks in advance.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I am renting one on Friday....great piece....great money maker.....
  3. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Weve been using this one(see link below) for awhile now and I really like it.Its very powerful and fast.Yes they leave a nice clean edge.All you have to do is rake the dirt thats piles up with your foot in the bed.Just make sure to watch for sprinkler heads and cable wires lol.
  4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the F-780 as shown in the link from North GA and it works awesome! Great machine makes edging fun and easy to do. It takes a little more time to cut through hard soils but just let the machine do its thing. Soft soils aren't even a problem with this model. I think if you got any model from Brown Mfg. you'd be pleased with, they make a great product.
  5. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

If you are doing existing beds check out the Turfco EdgeRite. It cuts the turf in strips like a sod cutter so you don't have debris in the mulch. Simply pull the material into the lawn with a bow rake. Brand new with a 2 year warranty it is $1,465 plus shipping. It has 5 optional blades for everything from sidewalk edging to tree rings to new bed installs.
    Tim Gray
    Turfco Mfg.
  6. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

The Brown is the way to go. I don't know anything about the Turfco, so I won't knock it, but it seems a biased opinion coming from a rep. No offense to you Turfco Tim, I sure you wouldn't sell them if you weren't proud of them. I just always question the opinion of someone selling them. I can speak for the Brown as we have used ours for about 8 years and it is holding up well. Did change the oil a few times, and replace a couple of belts, but overall it holds up. It does a great job. Just be careful not to make the beds larger than they already are. In this case, you will have a bunch of grass to clean up, and the customers don't always want larger beds.
  7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

They are two different types of machines that do basically the same job...edge beds....The Brown is a rotary that rips the soil with a spinning blade and deposits the dirt and debris in a pile in the bed. You have to clean up the bed and refresh the mulch afterward.The Turfco uses a cutting motion like a sod cutter back and forth shaving the edge of the bed leaving the dirt and debris where it is cut to be picked up and removed. There is no need to refresh the mulch as the dirt and debris is not thrown into the bed. The unit has been around since the 1950s. Was orginally designed to trip sand traps where you cannot have thrown debris in the sand. the 1980s found the unit on lawns being used for many things and with 5 new blades to do the different jobs. It has many uses other than just beds...
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have tried the turfco and had a problem with it.
    we have very sandy soils here and it did not produce the crisp edge that the brown did. We have used brown bed edgers for over 15 years. We were trying to get away from the debris cleanup it left in the beds. We were edging 2-3 miles of beds per year ( large condiminium complexes). The turfco did not perform well enough for us and we had to continue to use the brown.

Also with the brown you can get trench, grind small stumps, etc..
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yeah! looked at the edger,tried the Brown edger,bought the Brown edger! I edged aprox. 100ft in under a minute!!!!! Holy crap is this thing is awesome:weightlifter: I actualy did three different houses for a friend of mine, who's edger guy never showed up. I cut him a great deal and still made $150.00 in an hour. In less than 1 month its a few hundred bucks shy of paying for itself.:clapping:
  10. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Can you use the brown on existing beds that have fabric under the mulch? What are the pros and cons of this situation. I never used one so forgive me if this is an obvious question. Thanks