1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brown Dyed mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrusk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Last year i used brown died mulch on a job. This stuff was pricey at 31 bucks a yard but it was gorgous. It was ground ALOT smaller then the typical bark mulch i work with so it was atleast twice as fast to work with it.

Also it held its color much better then regular mulch since its dyed.

Does anyone else use brown dyed mulch?

2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, I had been using 2&3 ground bulch and found that it just decomposed so quickly and was basically a replacement every year. Good for business but also bad in that I used it at home 15 yards per year and it was too costly for me a clients to replace.

I am into my second year with it now and its holding up great. Well worth the cost difference which I can get at 23 per yard. I am still looking for a source I could get tractor trailor load from. I can get as much as I want delivered via Dump truck but its still the same cost plus a small delivery fee.

If I could get bulk at home I do have a tractor and loader which would save a considerable amount of time and money from me going to get each time.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it dyed or is it actually finely ground bark like it all was 10 or 15 years ago? Pine/spruce/fir bark without wood added to it is a rich reddish brown and does not need to be dyed. It holds the eveness of its color well particularly if it is finely ground.

Dyed mulch is cheaper because it is used to mask the presence of waste wood. They essentially cut good bark mulch with ground up fences and pallets, paint it, doubling the volume of the mulch, and sell it.

In other words, someone is charging people to dump pallets and fences, buys bark mulch for $x, doubles the amount of that mulch by adding crap to it, and then sells it to us for slightly less than what natural bark mulch cost.

The problem is that a lot of people can't tell the difference when it sits in the pile, so fewer and fewer people are selling real bark mulch anymore because it does not sell as fast.

4. bahamamills

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dyed mulch is all we use, you probably bought "tripple ground" (thats what we call it here). It almost looks just like wet dirt right? That is a few bucks more per yard than the common double ground.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use strictly colored mulch anymore.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My supplier sells both the brown died mulch as well as the tripple ground root mulch. Most of the time, I am either putting down the tripple ground or black dyed mulch. Red goes down every now and then but the brown died is not very popular with my customers.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

When you guys are using dyed mulch, do you add fertilizers or nitrogen to the soils to compensate for what the waste wood is robbing from the soil as it decays? I prefer natural products like root or real bark mulches, even cedar, for what it adds to the soil as well as weed suppression and moisture retention, but some clients like the look of the black, brown or hopefully never, red.

Kirk

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Bahama,

That is better than pallets and fences, although "yard waste" might not exclude those things. It is still cutting good bark mulch with wood waste. I don't want wood waste and I don't want to cut the effectiveness and aesthetic quality of bark.

Bark protects a tree from insects that eat wood.

10. bahamamills

The yard waste as you saw is used for the top soil. What kind of yard waste do you think they use in the soil which is also screened. I am curious as to whether or not you had a bad experience with Top Soil or Mulch.

Not arguing with you but this is one of the largest top soil mines I know of around here. What could they be allowing to be sold for everyones yards, gardens etc.

I sat there for two hours one day watching as they hand/machine picked every item that went through there I am sure very expensive grinders and through the rest of the process. This was/is not a landfill.