1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brown Edgemaster!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fiveoboy01, Aug 4, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Today I did an edge on a residential property I've been maintaining. Corner lot, so double the sidewalk and curbing. From the corner of the lot, about 40 feet in one direction, and about 90-100 feet the other way. Overgrowth was bad, the strips of sod I was peeling up were 3-4 inches wide.

My Echo stick edger wasn't liking it. It was taking forever and a day. I've learned it's best left to use in maintaining an edge, rather than creating one on a neglected property.

I broke down and hit the town's rental place for a walk behind edger. Ended up with a Brown Edgemaster with a Honda 5.5hp engine. The thing looked like it had been hardly used at all.

I was impressed! That thing simply tore through the sod like nothing. It took me 10 minutes to do the rest of the walks and curbs, and it took me over a half hour to do a 20-foot strip of sidewalk alone with the stick edger. The big pneumatic tires were nice, as was the extremely quick adjustment of the wheel height for curbs. Being able to adjust the depth right from the raise/lower lever was nice too.

I'm buying one.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For the real tough ones I'll consider renting the ditchwitch...

Ohhhh, you say you want an edge that no stick edger can do?

Oh yeah I got the tool for that job, uh-hmmm, noooo problem...
    [​IMG] :laugh: