1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

brown edger and pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Mar 12, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Just got a new brown edger and physically loaded on the back of the pickup tonight. A little heavier than I anticipated. Do any of you load this guy in the back of the truck or just use the trailer?
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Just use the trailer, no need in killing yourself lifting heavy machinery in the back of the truck. That can lead to severe back injury or hernia. Take good care of yourself because without your health you have nothing. Guess ure gettin ready for those 30 trees huh?
  3. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Exactly!! Thanks for all your help and input.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If it will fit on the trailer then thats where it would go
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity how heavy is that edger???
  6. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Heavy as sh!t. ( I think 155 lbs.) I just took it off and put it on my trailer. Thought about loading it at the end of the day and thought better of it!!!
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Not to get off subject about the edger, but I did that with my billy goat 10hp push blower last year for blow only properties. It was easy getting it into the truck, just getting out of the truck was the hardest part.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can make cheap wooden ramps with metal end plates available at most farm/hardware stores.

Just space them to the width of the edger and up you go. Easy.

I busted a disk in my back last year. You really need to avoid those awkward, heavy lifts.

I now chew out my employees if I catch them not lifting safely.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be done, although you will usually experience some nutsackular pain. :cry:
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I just bought a nice pair of aluminum ramps on eBay. I'll use them for putting my Gator, pressure washer, and bed edger on the truck when I'm not using the trailer.