Brown fuzzy stuff

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Leaf Jockey, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Every morning before using the sprayer I clean the mesh filter. Its always filled with brown fuzzy stuff that will stop fluid flow if left for a few days. Is this stuff typical of Vessel/Surge/24d products or is it from the well water supply?

Scott

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure, but possibly some kind of bacteria is growing in the tank. If so it would be less in cold weather--which would slow the growth of foreign organisms.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm just guessing, but it's usually fertilizer sediment with us.

4. Leaf Jockey

Ahhhh, so this isn't normal. I'll have to do some research.

Scott

5. Leaf Jockey

Its been suggested that I filter the well water that I use to fill the tanks. Do any of you use filters on your water supply? If so, what type?

Scott

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mix fertilizer in the water? If so--more potential for impurities.

I mix weedo and fertilizer in the water, (city water). But I get a fair amount of impurities. Sometimes a few particles of sulfer coated urea. Sometimes a few particles of organic Milorganite-type stuff. Sometimes just some limestone filler which gets mixed at the dealer's plant between batches of fertilizer.

I have over the years added an elaborate filter system which is glued inside the tank. A big piece of fiberglass window screen covers and protects the tank outlet. Held in place with silicone aquarium sealant. Smaller stainless steel inner screen covers the opening.

Possible two filters would help your situation. 2oo mesh, followed by 325 mesh.

7. Leaf Jockey

I don't mix fert in the water. I was thinking about putting one of those whole house type filters on the water supply hose.

Scott