Brown Patch? Cinch Bugs? ????????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grassrootz, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

I have an area on one of my properties where the grass is dying. The grass is St. Augustine and it is dying in a circle... large over 10 feet, with the center of it appears to be sinking.

What could this be, and how do you treat it?

Thanks...

2. Do you have any pictures to share with us. It would help a lot.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Grassrootz

It should be too hot for Brown Patch so look for Chinch bugs in the good grass just out side the circle.

4. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

Is the outer edge of the ring brighter green than the existing turf?

5. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

Grassrootz,

Try this. If you think you have chinch bugs, take a coffee can and cut each end so you can look through it. Drive the can down into the ground in your area that you think you have the bugs. Fill the can up with water and watch, when the water goes down refill. Look and see if any of the adults float to the top. I had a problem on a lawn recently, I look and did see any thing, but upon closer examination, I had fungus. The fungus effect the grass the same as the chinch bugs, in a circle pattern. So, if you don't see anything in the thatch and nothing rises to the top of the can, than turn the fungus......

6. Grassrootz

Thanks thus far... i will take a picture and post!

Thanks...GR

7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

For a surf report I'll help you out....

This is obviously brown patch. The circle gives it away. It is most likely in a low area that gets watered alot. And it has rained quite a bit here lately. Rake it out and monitor the watering. I have yet to water here in Katy this year. Save your fungicide. It will recover as it dries out. If it stays wet, no chemical will help you anyway. Hollah at me if I can help again. While you are downthere, TURN OFF THE WIND AND BRING ME SOME GREEN WATER! LOL Drew

8. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

probably too hot for brown patch, if it is brown patch over a 10 foot area, it probably would be recovering in the center giving it a donut like appearance. Also if it's bpf the blades will pull from the sheaths very easily, will be rotten at the base and may have a fish like smell. It's probably drought or chinchbugs. Although I don't know what your temps. or rainfall has been there. Here, it's very hot and very dry. Good Luck.

9. Grassrootz

attached are some pictures of the areas...

Thanks for your feedback.

baypointpatch.jpg

10. There is shade on the brown spot. Does part of the spot stay shady for most of the day. If that is the case, then I would say that chinchbugs are not likely your problem. I will write more later after my favorite TV show is over.