brown patch fungis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doug lingle, Jul 24, 2000.

1. doug lingle

doug lingle LawnSite Member

Be seeing alot of brown patch fungis lately<br>can it be prevented, and can it be spread from one lawn to another via equipment tires?<p>doug<br>linge@access2k1.net

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Prevention is best achieved by watering consistantly and maintaining your fertility consistantly. If you do notice symtoms of disease, swith to watering lightly daily mid-day. (Recommendation of Dr. Joseph Vargas, plant pathologist at Michigan State University)<p>I would recommend getting a disease chart from Lesco and a field photo book from Cornell University. Both contain clear color photos and brief helpful info on most commom turf diseases.

4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Brown patch is one of the most damaging and expensive problems to treat for in a lawn. Instead of me turning this into a long dissertation may I suggest contacting someone to sub this work out to who is liscened. Furthermore take a look at the info Kirby has on his site about brown patch.<br>

5. KB

KB LawnSite Member

There is not much that you can do and yes it will spread. I have an extremely bad case in my yard and have researched quite a bit. Basically, everything (and the experts) say to avoid watering at night, avoid excessive fertilizing, etc. Also, you must catch the grass clippings are this will also cause it to spread. It will spread from mowing over it (tires), spread of grass clippings, walking across, etc. I have tried some of the most well know fungicides recommended and they do not seem to have been very effective. From what I have been told, you pretty much have to deal with it, reseed (or sod) the damaged areas once summer is over, and take caution to prevent next summer. Apparently, once you have this, you are even more likely to have it the next season.

6. doug lingle

doug lingle LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the info on brown patch fungis, it kinda confirmed what I was thinking, it's ugly and makes a yard look bad not much can be done, KB, I hope I don't have this probably next season. It makes me heart sick seeing it, because I try to keep my lawns looking there best, and boy has this been frustrating to me and my customers who have it. Thanks for the education, Knowledge is power(I don't know who said it, but it makes sense to me.) <p>doug