Brown patch on new Fescue lawn. Should I apply a fugacide yet?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Jun 13, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I just laid some Tall Millinnium Fescue about 2 weeks ago, and it has developed small areas of Brown patch due to the high moisture and whatever else I didn't catch in the soil. The sod is rooted in most places now, it's still mostly dark green, and it hasn't been cut yet. Overall, it looks great except some dead patches. The Brown Patch spots aren't connecting and getting big yet but I'm afraid of them growing.

My concern is whether the grass is too new to put something like Spectracide on it to cure the brown patch. Will this harm newly rooted sod? I've already bought the stuff but I haven't put it down yet.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I assume that you are talking about imunox or something like that? I do not think I would apply anything like that yet. The sod is too new (I doubt it's firmly rooted yet being in the ground only 2 weeks), and if temps are over 85 degrees, you might have some poor/negative results. Sod often starts to turn brown after installed. I would continue to keep moist and give it another 2 weeks. See what happens.

3. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I use organic lawn practices, and from what I've been told, if you apply cornmeal at 20# per 1000 square feet it will get rid of the brown patch in around 3 weeks. I have some brown patch on my fescue lawn and I put down finely ground cracked corn(Same as cornmeal) about 10 days ago. I am waiting to see some results, although I think the grass is already dead.

4. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

It sounds like it would be safer that the chemicals but will it work for brown patch in progress? Is this something that I apply once and wait three weeks or should I be adding it often?

5. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Just apply it once and water it in. Should work on an "in progress" fungus/brown patch. I've also been told that if you've already applied a chemical fungicide that the corn meal may not work.

6. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I didn't want to add any chemicals to the grass for the first year anyway. I'll have to look up more organic approaches.

7. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member