Brown Patch or Spring Kill ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfer, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help on the bayleton Ray !

We have had tons of rain here in N.C. and I've cut allot of yards wet. Almost all the yards in our area have brown areas in the yard. I don't think it can all be brown patch. I think brown patch is pretty defined. I've heard of spring kill but I'm not sure what it looks like. The stuff I'm talking about looks like thatch. Is this a problem ? Will it grow out ? Whats the best way to distinguish brown patch from brown stuff that is not a disease ? Thanks.

2. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

i'm right here with you. we had 8 inches last week, 1 inch yesterday, and another 1.5 inches today. i don't know about your lawns, but alot of mine have brown patch for sure. it seems like most of the chemical dealers around here are, or were sold out of all fungicides at the first of the week. that tells me that i'm not alone with my brown patch problem.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

The brown patch could be complete die off from dollar spot. Look at a leaf that still has some life left in it. If there arecircular spots with brown around the edges this could be the culprit. Avoid nitrogen deficiency (don't over fert) as well as overwatering and it should clear up. Fenarimol is a fungicide that can help the problem, but try a cultural control first.

4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Could soil compaction be an issue here?

5. Shawn Burns

from N.C.

i don' think compaction is my problem, i aerate every fall. i think that is sufficient for my residential lawns. i don't think it's dollar spot either, but i will check that out. thanks for the advice! i also want to apoligize for the long response time, been workin' till dark because my grass is growing like crazy, and i have a 4 month old daughter who is also growing like crazy!!!! this all equals little time on the computer !!

6. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I'm with you on the busy days Shawn. I'm just catching up from all the rain we had at the end of last week. Lesco was out of bayleton so I sprayed their daconil type product on my customers lawns this weekend. I checked them out today and they all look good. I'm not sure if compaction is my problem because most of my customers are new this year since I just went full time this year. Shawn, when do you aerate around here ? I'm in Cary. Hopefully we will get some dry weather and "normal" rainfall so this brown patch will go away.

7. Shawn Burns

from N.C.

i don't know if it will ever get back to normal ! i guess it could be worse, we could be in a drought like 2 years ago. it's hard to remember that with still more rain falling as i write this. i try to start aerating around the first or secon week of september. august is usually too dry, and if you wait till october youwill be fighting leaves on your young grass, not good! if you're in cary, i'm sure i've seen you around. i cut alot in Ral., some in cary, and a little everywhere else too