1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brown Patch

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by sicnj, Jul 4, 2008.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

I have signs of fungus in one of my yards. The customer wants to stay away from chems. Should I apply compost tea now. or use the fungicide and then go with the compost tea in Aug - Sept. Or does anyone have a better solution.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure it is fungus?
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Rhizoctonia solani and Rhizoctonia tuliparum were susceptible to the mycoparasite Verticillium biguttatum.
  4. treegal1

below is a sequence of six frames (a-e) from a videotaped interaction between Pythium oligandrum (Po) and the plant-pathogenic fungus Botrytis cinerea (Bc) on a thin film of water agar. Times shown as min/sec/tenths of sec; recording started at zero time (a). The hyphal tip of Bc contacted the hypha of Po after 1 min,14 sec (b) and continued to grow for a while (c). A few minutes later (d, e) the tip of Bc suddenly lysed, expelling the protoplasm. After another 30 min (e) Po had produced many hyphal branches that grew into the spilled protoplasm of the other fungus, using the spilled contents as a nutrient source.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

with compost teas often you are trying to outcompete the pathogen and trying to steal the food resources. It is helpful to try to find a predator of the fungal disease.

We are having good luck, except in TG's worm beds, with chitosan as a fungicide. It will kill it on contact, then come behind with a good compost tea to populate the area with good aerobic microbes that will outcompete the leaf area and not allow it to get established again

Be careful of low PH scenarios (below 5.5 or so) with chitosan it can literally wipe out everything, like in TG's worm beds. BTW I had this confirmed by Dr David Payne from the university of maryland. at low PH's it is used as a bactericide in pharma
  6. treegal1

eh the worms..... that's not what i care about that much, the effect on leaf miners(the vector for citrus greening) and thripes(on ficus hedge) that's where this NPP shines!!! as every one knows, I am not a big product fan, this has my attention, yes its a little broad spectrum for all my uses but when we get a start up yard or a problem does appear, this is a GOOD BIG GUN for us to have. it is also one of the few things that we believe to help in the control of Ganoderma, and some other nasty little pathogens.

Bill a worm warning wont hurt!!!
  7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have sprayed tea on brown patch and it stopped the spread of the disease. Spray now for the disease and again in the fall. The fall is the best time to build soil biology.
  8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I take it this depends on the type lawn or does it go with any turf/soil, the biology works best at this time no matter what the region?
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I should have said up north, on cool season grasses. I don't know much about southen turf, and I believe the OP is from Jersey.
  10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is fine, people do it all the time, I take it that for southern grasses it would be in the early spring as that is the time that the grasses come alive and begin reestablishing themselves. Cool season, which we also have some but not as much, would be taken care of in the fall as you said.

Right Tree?