Brown Patch

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by doug1980, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Dialing back the irrigation should help, but sometimes mother nature has a different plan. Roughly the time this post was active a big portion of the state had 11 to 12 inches of rain hit during a Friday, Saturday, Sunday period just prior to a cold front. As a result lots of lawns got nailed.

2. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call about this one on Friday. Looked like a strange color for Fall Patch, I was thinking it may be rust. This area was just laid a month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

Brown patch is severe in Houston, I tell my customers to reduce irrigation by 1/2 after Labor Day, that seems to be easy enough for them to understand. Heritage takes care of the rest.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at the lesions on the leaves can often help diagnose. Also indicative is presence and appearance of mycelium in the early morning. Rust gives itself away by depositing orange spores on shoes and pants when walking through the grass. Heritage is a good fungicide for brown patch, leaf spot and rust. Make sure there is no dollar spot because it will not help that disease. Armada is a good choice too and probably safer because it is a combination of Compass(trifloxystrobin) and Bayleton(triadimefon). The Bayleton will prevent the dollar spot from jumping if it is present in the turf.

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

classic brown patch

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I start treatment for fungi in late May and continue every 28 days until end of October. Don't have too much of a problem. However this year, I saw some "Fall Patch". It wasn't too large but did confuse me. This was over the past weekend. It was in a spot that was know to have some ongoing fungus problems. Didn't need to mix up the big tank so I just mixed up a little Insignia and Daconic for just 1K and sprayed it after raking that spot and getting rid of the thatch. Talk about being set back to see a fungal problem in late November with temps down to 30s at night. Sorta ruined Thanksgiving--a first for me, but then again--all I deal with are First's.

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Temperatures down here in zone 9/10 continue into the mid 80's with frequent rains. Brown spot continues to be a problem as well as grubs. We prepped a site for sod last Teusday and pulled out grubs by the handful.

Temps are supposed to stay in the mid to upper 70's today and for a while, it'll be a welcome break.

8. Landscape Poet

Figured I would throw up a picture of the worst lawn I have with BP - this one started showing symptoms in early Sept. and I requested the L and O company come resolve while they were golf ball size patches. About 4 of them. They either did not then or were treating with a chemical that did not act as a curative and did not spray far enough around the area to create a good preventative program either.
    By Mid October the lawn was engulfed with BP - after many attempts to have the L and O company resolve.
    Needless to say this account I will have switching L and O companies in the Spring (The Owner Prepaid for the whole year). Pro-Mo from here on LS will most likely be gaining this account in the April Time Frame - assuming the owner is not sueing the existing L and O if the turf does not come back in nice full and lush by the spring time frame.
    Please note that this photos were in the late Octoberish or early November Timeframe. It has gotten worse in it's spread since then but appears to be no longer active from what I can gather upon my last visit.

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure if there is a 100% curative for brown patch, I believe it's mostly prophylactic in that it will control the fungus & keep the patch from spreading or forming new allowing the turf to recover. You can look for it in the same places every year if the conditions for it are right. The best preventative is probably cultural management as opposed to chemical.

Here's some intersting reading re. fungus &disease in St. Augustine. I'm sure many already know this stuff but for those who don't...

http://agfacts.tamu.edu/D11/Victoria/AG/HomeHort/LANDSCAP/nbrwnpch.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  10. Landscape Poet

Kphyte and Armada are two that I know list a curative rate on the label. Now I do understand that is not going to fix it forever and the soil will still contain the disease but I can report that I went behind my spray company recently on my lawn as they were struggling to keep it from being active on my lawn. I sprayed a combination of Armada and Kphyte and no longer have what I understand to be active symptoms of it on the blades of the turf like I did previously.