1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brown patches - looked..ton of little worms??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Ok. Worm - grub. Started really small. Now at least inch long. I have put enough product on this lawn to treat 6 lawns. I see dead crickets, dragon flies, etc....there still here. Very heavy grass, alot of thatch - should it to power raked (dethatched) and mowed short to what I see in my eyes to break the barrier b/t these little pest and the granular to get down there? Also the irrigation is down to 2 days a week - should we shut it off completely. I have never had an entire yard with grubs - at best a little spot and that was it.

2. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

With it being so thatchy you might want to add a wetting agent to the mix to help it work its way down into the thatch/soil interface where the grubs are feeding. Then pound it with water.

Good luck,

John

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Remember any of the "thrins" as insecticides will not be effective. The thrins (synthetic pyrithroids) do not penetrate the soil more than a quarter inch. Not suitable for grubs--regardless of advertising claiming it works.
    Grubs are hard to kill when they reach this size; dylox is the best bet. It must be watered in with about a half-inch of water to carry it down to the grub depth. Run the irrigation about an hour. Run irrigation also for a few minutes prior to application of dylox for best results. Use the maximum the label allows.

Next year use a grub control preventative about July 4th.