1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brown Patches on lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Kicik your Grass, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Kicik your Grass

Kicik your Grass LawnSite Member

Hello here in metro Detroit we cut a large condo complex but we are not the fertilizer company they have their own,the problem i have is this complex has areas of brown patches in the lawn id say average 10 to 12 feet in diameter its brown dead looking grass in the middle of green lawns its all over the 30 + acre complex the problem i have is the fertilizer guy is blaming us saying its from our mowers bringing it in from other sites we cut but i don't see this anywhere else is this even possible? they want me to pay to over seed these areas i think the fert guy fricked up ? and looking to escape. I'm no expert here is there someone i can go to to do a lawn analyze i have to meet the management this week to resolve this problem any input here thanks in advance
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Brown patch can spread to other lawns via lawn mowing equip. But the brown patch issue is not within the scope of your responsibility. Treatment of brown patch will fall within the scope of the state licensed treatment company that provides the condo complex with this service. You need to be capable of communicating professionally and clearly that despite the fact this condition can be spread from lawn to lawn the treatment and preventable measures for it is not within the scope of your responsibility. Applying lawn fungicides on a commercial scale requires state licensing that you do not have so controlling or preventing the issue even if you wanted to is not possible. I suggest you educate yourself as much as possible with this issue before you meet with the condo management. Also applying fert to a lawn with active brown patch is like poring gas on a fire. If you want detailed advice on how to communicate your side and deal with the condo management you can PM me. go to this website and start reading. What ever you do do not take a defensive tone with the condo people maintain profeshinal curitisty at all times. You have common sence and the law on your side. you just need to communicate this in a clean and clear way. This is just 1 place of hundreds to get good info.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sod webworms & cutworms are active right now. Annual white grubworms too. Then there's soil compaction w/heavy clay soil & foot traffic. Core aeration never hurts.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is it dry up there, when's the last time it rained, and how often are you cutting?

Because maybe you're cutting it too often and or too low, at least half the time that is the reason for 'brown patch.'
    I'd say even if irrigated it should be on 10-12 days, maybe 12-14, but I don't know.