Brown patches - Root cause ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bperl, May 17, 2012.

?

Brown patch - Root Cause

Poll closed Jun 6, 2012.
  1. Too much herbicide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blunt Mower blades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Beetles and grubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Excessive fertilizer

8.3%
  5. Fungus

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2317/F-7663web.pdf
    Here is the fungicide resistance group info and chart. Be careful you do not use the same fungicide repeatedly. Twice would probably be OK. And fungicides with similar chemistry count as the same fungicide. Resistance to one DMI fungicide is resistance to them all. Same for strobilurens.

Tall fescue is sensitive to brown patch in hot humid weather. Did your original seed mixture contain both tall fescue and perennial rye grass? A common situation...seed companies sometimes call this "Tall fescue mixture". Very misleading. And sometimes the perennial rye is lighter green than the tall fescue.
    Brown patch info.
    http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases/Brown_Patch.aspx#

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

While I do not see a brown spot on the other side of the fence the turf looks mottled.

3. bperl

bperl LawnSite Member

The grass seed that I've used was mainly 99% TTTF.
    As mentioned before I did spray Weed B Gone Max with Crabgrass control (24D) around 45 days back. There was some discoloration in some parts of the lawn, but I thought it was normal for the grass to discolor a bit and then recover.

I guess the grass was weak and susceptible for disease invasion. Now that I think about it wasn't 45 days back that I've noticed this...but in the last 1 week or so..this has been spreading a lot. Today morning most of my lawn is looking brownish. Can't imagine how fast its changing. Luckily I don't see it spreading to my neighbor's lawn. Maybe because their lawns are more mature and disease resistant or maybe the seed I've used was not that resistant.

I read in couple of university websites that use of Organic fertilizers may(will) reduce the severity of the disease. I've bought Milogranite Organic fertilizer with Iron. Shall I go-ahead and spread it?

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

NO!!
    Whatever you do don't spread that stuff it has nitrogen in it and will spread the fungus.

If its still spreading like you say and most of the lawn is brown we'll its sounding more like take all patch. I don't have much experience with take all but some of the other guys should chime in soon.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think mentioned above that take all patch is best controlled with Brown Canadian Peat Moss, Top dress 1/2 and water in. Should help for about 3 years.

Try the worse areas and some of the less effected areas to compare and see if it helps those areas before doing the whole yard.

6. bperl

bperl LawnSite Member

Does Peat Moss help even the brown patch and/or Dollar spot ? I'm trying to see what if the lawn has more than one fungus. Wish I could narrow down to the root cause of the issue.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Don't know frankly.
    There is little harm to adding this material as it wil build the soil too.
    Yes, there is some expense which is why I suggested trying a bad spot and a moderate spot before treating the whole yard.

If you can get some under a magnifying glass or send off a sample to a pathology lab you could nail it down.

I can tell you peat works and works well for Take All and it is proven to work.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

9. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Not to mention most newer TTTF have endophytes, would rule out most bugs other than grubs.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Your lawn looks like fescue lawns around here in July and August...looks like heat and lack of water.
    Posted via Mobile Device