Brown Patches

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jandreau, Jul 20, 2007.

1. jandreau

jandreau LawnSite Member

I have noticed one of the properties I mow has been turning brown. About 2 weeks ago the grass was nice and green, but as you can see in the pictures it has brown spots all over it. They never water it, so I was blaming it on lack of water when it first started. But we've had a lot of rain lately and it still seems to be getting worse. Anybody have any suggestions?

1 (Modified).JPG

2 (Modified).JPG

3 (Modified).JPG

4 (Modified).JPG

IMG_0262 (Modified).JPG

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

heat/drought stress

3. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

heat or drought also possibly a lime issue with the light green shades on some of the grass. Have you done a recent soil sampling within the past year?

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Is it all the same kind of grass. Or are we seeing patches of a heat sensitive grass in the lawn? Or a grass that recovers more slowly.

Does it look better in the shade (where it is protected from the sun's heat?)

Fungus is not out of the question. Check for any visible insects.

5. weed man Exe

weed man Exe LawnSite Member

We see this all the time in our area. Rough stock blue grass is sensitive to drought and to high temps. It is a grass adapted to wet shade but it commonly invades medium to well maintained lawns. it would be a good idea to check for chinch bug populations as well. Sometimes the 2 problems go hand in hand.

6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

By looking at the pictures, I have doubts that it's an insect problem, because of how widespread the browning is. Normally, bugs will affect an area of a lawn and spread from there, whereas it looks to me like the whole lawn is going downhill at the same time (brown spots interspersed all over the lawn).

My vote would be for there being poa mixed in with the lawn.

Here's what you can do Jan to diagnose your problem. First, go out to that lawn and lay down next to where one of the brown areas meets a healthier green area of grass. Part the grass where you see one of these transitions and look to see if there are lawn-damaging insects present. When you part the grass, be sure to wait at least 5-10 seconds before you stop looking. Insects like chinch bugs will often freeze when you first open up the turf canopy. Do this in several areas of the lawn to check for surface-feeding, lawn-damaging insects. If you rule them out this way, take a bulb-planter out to another one of those transition areas where brown grass meets green and drill the bulb planter into the soil about 3 inches. When you pull the bulb planter out of the ground, you'll be able to split the soil sample and check for subsurface-feeding insects like grubs.

If this doesn't turn up anything, you could come back to the lawn any morning when there's a fair amount of dew and check for a coloration around the brown areas of the lawn. If it's Brown Patch for example, you'll notice a dark gray, to purplish hue to the grass around the stricken areas.

You could also take a sample (soil and turf) of the stricken areas to your local extension office and have them identify what's going on with the grass for you. They'll be able to tell you if it's poa browning out in the heat of the Summer, or if it in fact is a lawn disease. Any way you look at it, a soil sample will tell you a lot about what's going on with that lawn.

Good luck. :waving:

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Maine? Lot's of fine fescue in full sun up there. Drought stress.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm guessing you have 2 or 3 things going on The orangish-colored areas might be "rough bluegrass". Might have some "billbug" damage in other areas? Doesn't look like any disease prob. Just guessing from your pics.

9. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilize it

10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: